Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

3D Pocketing(I think) on Rim question/help

Novahawk13

Doing a small project for school. We just got a new cnc machine and have some spare aluminum lying around (5in x 5in x 7/8in). Decided to make a miniature car rim, at least the face of it. Anyways, I've been messing aroudn with toolpaths and have had some luck with it but not much, its too choppy. We only have access to a 1/4inch Bullnose and a 1/4 and 1/2 inch Flat Endmills. If you can, take a look at my file and see if I did good or if I should change the toolpaths. The file is on the ftp , "school_rim.zip", inside is the MC9 file and STL file. I've tried using a Flowline tool path but it won't let me create it, says that the toolpath intersects. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks!!!

Ryan

I agrre with Bernie on that part and ball endmills, I no longer have V9 installed so I only looked at it but I would think a couple of those would be necessary to really get it done right.

Great start so for.

For aluminum, carbide 3 flute, if unavailable, carbide 2 flute.

I only use 4 flute in aluminum if I can not get or do not have on hand the other 2.

If this is only a school project and you are not pushing it hard you could likely get away with a 2 flute HSS ball mill

So I was a little misinformed, we do have a ball mill--1/8inch. The tools we have are 1/4" and 1/2" end mill--both HSS, and a 1/8" ball mill--Carbide.

Take a look at my file and see if i did this all right. Also, check the feed rates, i based them off the school.mc9 file so i hope they're correct. The material for the stock is 6061 Aluminum.

The file name is School_rim_B.zip I've included the STL file for the underside as well.

Thanks,

Ryan

feed and speed are based on what your equipment can handle. dont over do it with small tooling that you say you have or you wont have any left wink.gif take it slow with a .001 to .002 per tooth chip load to start and easy on the depth cuts. stage your roughing to finishing. larger to smaller with gradual stock remaning