Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Complete CNC Newbie a few questions

bangelo

Hi everyone, I have a client who has just bought a chinese cnc router, the software it comes with is very ambiguous and difficult to use. I am looking into an easier solution for him. He currently uses software like signlab, corel etc for his sign business. My questions are:

Does MasterCam take files from signlab etc and create the G-code that can be loaded into the controller box?

Am I correct to assume the work flow is:

Drawing -> Convert to G-code -> Upload to controller?

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Welcome to the forum.

It's not quite that simple in my mind.

Mastercam can read a number of types of files, so as long as the other software can export one of those types of files, MCAM can read it in.

After that process, it takes a programmer to assign toolpaths to the pieces of geometry(and perhaps construct geometry for the toolpaths to drive) in order for the software to output the proper G-code when post-processing these toolpaths.

The post processor within Mastercam outputs the G-code which, if everything is set up properly, can be directly uploaded to the controller.

The process within Mastercam is relatively simple with most 3-axis motion so that someone inexperienced can pick it up fairly quickly. As with anything, the more complex the product gets, the more knowledge of the software is needed in order to produce a quality end product.

I'd suggest contacting a reseller and getting a demo. It should give you a better idea of how the software works.

There is a router and art package offered for that industry. This will give you alot of option in bringing in Raster type files and converting them to the vector format that MC needs to use for toolpathing. I would definitly get the tutorials and practice parts to get started at a minmum. I would highly reccomend going to a 3 day seminar to get the basics down for 2d toolpaths and output or posting them to the machine. You will need to make sure that the customer has a post processor for the specific control that is on his router. This will ensure that the g-code is properly formated.

Thanks HevyMetl, how would I identify the control on the machine, it's a chinese unit without much identifying information. Is the post processor where you select the machine in MCAM?

Sorry for the what must seem basic questions, am just trying to understand something I have never dealt with before.