Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

More questions on DNC...

Bob W.

So I figured out how to run my Haas Mini Mill DNC with the Windows utility Hyperterminal, but still no luck with Mastercam. What is the difference between a program like Hyperterminal and the one Cimco sells? What are the advantages of some of the other programs?

Also, the Haas user's manual recomends setting the synchronization to Xmodem but it is not an option in either Hyperterminal or Mastercam so I have been running with that set to Xon-Xoff on the software side and Xmodem on the Mill control. Any problems with that?

Thanks,

Bob

Hi Bob,

I would recommend going with Cimco just for the tech support alone. It really depends on the number of machines that you are trying to run DNC to. If it is just one mill, you can DNC directly from Mastercam without spending a dime. The secret is to use the Version 9 style communications. Go to setting - Customize and look in the File category. The button you are looking for should be on the left side, bottom row. It looks like a little cable plug. This is the version 9 style communications. Add this button to a toolbar or create a new one with this button. Save the configuration of your toolbars with toolbar states.

When you launch the "communications" dialog box with the toolbar button you will be able to send and receive like normal. To turn on DNC capability, just enable the "echo terminal emulation" check box. Make sure the "Display to screen" is also checked. Turn the handshaking to software and you should be set. I've ran countless DNC setups this way. If you install a copy of V9 on a cheap PC you can create a "DNC server" by using Cimco edit V4 (free with V9) or the standard Mastercam communications. I believe these will run without a HASP (Mastercam won't though).

For the sraight transfer, typically you have to go to the machine first and set it to "receive" mode. Then go to the computer and send the nc file. Look in your HAAS manual about sending and receiving files. Once you figure out the button sequence on the HAAS its pretty easy. I used to be able to quote the button sequence for a HAAS from memory. Its been too long though now. Good luck, let us know how it goes.

HTH,

If I remember right, you might have to enter a program number before you start the download. If that is true you would go into communications on the HAAS, find the receive page, type in the new program number (O0500) for example, then press the receive rs-233 button.

The HAAS may just be able to pick up the program # from the file header, but I can't quite remember.

It's looking for the program NUMBER.

Lets say your nc program number is "15", for example.

Go to your control & hit the list programs button, type in o0015, then receive. Then go back to your pc and hit send. Program should be loaded into memory as number o0015 without alarm.

the first character must be the LETTER "O".

oh, that is loading the program into memory, and is not really DNC'ing. If you want a one shot dnc; hit the mdi/dnc button twice, go to your pc and hit send. go back to your controller and hit the green button. biggrin.gif

that's the easiest way, once you've got the basics down you can tweak your communications to eliminate some of the running back and forth between pc and machine.

yeah, my legs are getting a good workout getting this stuff squared away. I have the mill running DNC right now but I still had to use Hyperterminal to do it. I need to get the job done so I gave up on Mastercam for now. Boy, the manual for the Haas and the support material that came with Mastercam (help files, etc...) are absolutely CRAP! There isn't anything that I could find that shed any light on this stuff.

I was entering the file name in the format you mentioned, "O" included, but I was in the worng menu. I was tying it in the I/O menu window and not the program list. I really don't think Mastercam is communicating with the machine at all though.