Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

O/T OSG Blizzard test

Mcam Nut

Ok, I have finally got the chance to test out a OSG Blizzard today, and just wanted to say they are worth there weight in gold. Our shop has always just bought what ever tooling seemed to be a good deal. Well I came in this morning and the operator had to slow a 1/4" solid carbide endmill to S2500 and F35. and was still fighting chatter and breaking tools. I checked over the setup, all looked good. I then said the hell with this, I went and grabed my blizard (which was bought to do a test on it) I have that endmill in the machine right now at S8000, and F120, and I still cant hear it. I know it will go much higher yet, but only have the one, and dont want to chance it.

Jeff,

It is a 1/4" 2 flt 0.0 corner rad, I have a 3 flt on the way with .02 corner rads. I wanted the 3 flt the first time but our tool guy said there was no such thing banghead.gif . I did the reserch and found it my self. I am thinking the 3 flt should be even better. I also have a 1/2: blizzard, and a ma ford to test out, cant wait to see what those will do. biggrin.gif

We run the hell out of our 1/2 w/corner rad Blizzards in our Makino. We max the rpm out at 20k and set the feed rate at 600ipm. No problem with a full width cut at 1/4" deep.

A little more expensive than a standard 2 flute carbide but the life you get out of them is unbelievable, 4-6 months. Were not talking cheap 6061-t6 either. The only aluminum these cutters see are QC-7.

Definetly worth the money!

I got more on the way, dont want to crank it to high with only one of them, but when the others arrive, I will be cranking the $hit out of them. I had to do some arm twisting to get these things in the door, but after doing a small test, I think I proved my point to a few people in the shop that you get what you pay for. We are already in the process of having these endmills added to our vending machines. biggrin.gif