Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

computer set-up

cadmonster66

Ok I have a quick question,

I bought a Abit KT7a socket A motherboard and also a AMD 1.0 GHZ/200 MHZ front bus Processor. My question is when i dug deeper on info on the Abit boards I now found out they have a problem with running at a too high of temp. Has any-one else heard this and also is this a problem from the so-called computer wizards trying to over-clock the boards eek.gifeek.gifeek.gifeek.gifeek.gif

Thanks

john

I actually own 3 flavors of Abit, and have never had a heat problem. One of the 3 had a problem with lock ups that I traced to the mobo itself. I'd say if you have a heat problem it's more the AMD than the mobo, they do tend to run hotter. Well that is anything newer than the socket7 550.

Not from experience, but from reading I hear the copper socketA coolers are kicking arse. Tom's cooler guide You should be able to get a high end cooler for around 40 bucks and is a small price to pay for insurance. You will find info on that same website (though not in that article) on overclocking your AMD with that board. As I have said before, overclocking is safe following a few basic guidelines, and everything I touch runs as fast as it can. I'm writing this from a P3600 bumped up to 800 on an Abit VA6, standard dual fan cooler. Never overheats, never crashes.

[ 02-20-2002, 08:52 PM: Message edited by: JAMMAN ]

One Last Question Jam,

I should be getting my AMD friday.I ordered it from Motherboards.com. They say that the cpu comes with a compatible heatsink and fan. Should that be enough to keep the chip cool or should I invest in another fan. And if so would be be able to suggest a good site to visit to buy a better fan

thank you alot

john

Correct sir you want to create the push pull conf.

to help move more air.

I am getting ready to move my server to my new office and when i get there i have a machine shop in my backdorr of my office .I am going to tak the cover of the server and cut a slot to mount two 80mm fans to the case side.

The case I have is like my asus 1 it has the 2 fans on the back power and the extra fan.

And I would like to thank both of you very much Don't know what I would do with-out you guys.Probably generate a cavity mold at work and walk around for the rest of the day waiting and listening to my box hummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. rolleyes.gif

ohhhhhhh yeah and wife says thanks too

biggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

quote:

box hummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

Oh you can here my server from there.

I didnt think that six fans could be this loud.

quote:

And I would like to thank both of you very much Don't know what I would do with-out you guys.

Glad any time I can actully be helpful.

[ 02-20-2002, 11:43 PM: Message edited by: cadcam ]