Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

X2 Setup, Help Please

Lloyd

Good Evening,

Decided to take the plunge and upgrade to X2. It never seems to be easy for some reason.

After going through the install and the transition guide I've come up against a problem I can't seem to resolve.

When I start X2 the Operation MNGR looks like this:

OpMNGRWrongStart.jpg

This is not the machine I have set up in the Config settings.

If I select the correct machine:

Selectmachine.jpg

I get this error message:

MachineSelectError.jpg

Then I went into the Config settings to check the Default Machines.

configDefaultmachines.jpg

If I just click the green check mark at the bottom without changing anything , then go back and re-select the Machine Type it works and the Operations manager then looks like this:

OpManager.jpg

The last machine group is the one that should be all by itself when X2 starts.

I thought this was a problem with the machine definition but as you can see it points to the materials library on our server:

GenmachParam.jpg

So, after going through this routine a couple of times, exiting X2 and re-starting it, things changed.

Now when I start X2 I get the following error at startup:

StartScreen.jpg

If I click OK then it continues on and the Operations Manager comes up correct:

OpMNGRStart.jpg

And I'm confused and not a little frustrated.

We want our tool and material libraries on the server, everything else can be on the local machine. Is this not possible? Anyone have any ideas what I've missed?

TIA

Hi gcode,

Not sure if this is the same place you were thinking of, but I've narrowed the problem down to this page / setting of Settings>Config>Files

confignostick.jpg

I can browse to my server location, apply, save, exit config, but it won't stick. Next time into X2 and it is back to looking for the default.materials file in the mcamx2 folder on the local machine again.

I've set it to c:...mcamx2materialsdefault.materials now and no more error message at start up, but I don't want any material updates I do saved locally, they should all be to the file on the server.

Lloyd,

yes that is what I was talking about

My IT guy is realy a pain in the a$$ about

user permissions. He beleives in the

"Principle of Least Rights" and I'v had to fight tooth and nail to get enough rights to actually do my job. Do you have full read/write/create/modify privleges

to ALL the files in the Config folder.

I've found that if you user privleges get dialed back even a little it can cause all kinds of headaches.

gcode,

I think I have full priveleges. Never had any issue s creating, save, etc... to that server folder before. Just checked my user profile and I'm in the administrators group.

I can open my config file in a text editor so I did that and changed the path directly in the config file. X2 still opens fine, but when I checked the Config>Files page it showed the default file for Mill Materials, yet when I checked the config file after in the text editor the full server path was still there. Weird.

So today X2 starts up with no error messages and starts with the correct machine in the op. mngr.

According to the Settings>Config>Files>Mill Material it should still be looking for Default.MATERIALS, even though I have changed the full path in the config file with a text editor.

Too weird, but I'm glad its working for now.