Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Big Chamfer

Hey all,

Working on an 18" diam. part and I have made a flat on the face (horizontal machine). Now I need to make a big bevel with my 5" x 45deg. facemill. The front of the stock is Z1.8 obviously down to Z0....

I did a search for this last night but could not come up with the results I wanted. Any help would be awesome.

The problem that seems to be occuring with that is it creates a toolpath over the top of part, as per the picture below.

angle.jpg

The pce with the X on it is the face that my horizontal will cut, and the angle above it is 45 deg. x 2.25 long (5" wide).

Again, maybe I am just unsure how to chain this properly or maybe it's just that I am not using the right TP.

Thanks for the help thus far!

I gave the swept a boo and didn't have much luck with it, Thad. I also have only used it on one occasion before with minimal success, so chances of me chaining incorrectly are pretty good.

Jack, I managed to bring home the key this weekend for just such an instance. I have been told we do a lot similar to this, so I really should try and find a good way to do it.

I have posted it on the ftp site in the MCX_MR2 or Earlier Files folder and named it MMBevel Test.MCX. I saved it in MCX version 1 just for you, Jack. =]

Thanks again!

face.jpg

is this what you are looking for?

Demo---hahahahaha

curse.gif

if so than the tool /construction plane is from the front and the I picked a line that I created on the inside edge of the chamfer

you may need to change your curser to single to get this

my lead in is 5.0 with no sweep arc

depth of cuts .05

from the looks of it you have the room to do a multi pass of 3 @ 3.75 and do something like this by clicking contour instead of depth

face2.jpg

Im not sure how well level 1 will take to this though headscratch.gif

Ps ...thanks for regressing for me wink.gif

[ 01-12-2007, 10:21 PM: Message edited by: Jack Neelands - Rho-Can Machine. ]

Jack, I don't really understand what you mean by no swept arc....but this is the result that I got from what I took from your example....

With the geometry that I had in level 2 hidden, I made it visible, then selected the line at the inside base of the chamfer. Selected contour, 5" x 45deg facemill, and DOC @ .15" (for this example) with tapered walls at 45 deg. It verified well, but left funny cut lines on the overlap like it was cutting deeper and not consistant on each DOC. Is this likely just a graphics thing?

Other then that it seems like it works just ducky.

I was referring to your lead in and lead out....arc is 0 so that you have a straight line

some times your verify can llok a little off ..if you set your graghics bar all the way to the right it should look a little better

your retract should be absolute and not incremental and set at approximately .25 above your highest point

Are you taking multi pass as well?

I have to take lots on the DOC based on the cutters that we use, but no on the multi passes.

One thing that does occur to me is that I would like to take 2 other cuts along that face with each stup down so that I can keep the cutter pressure equal. I tried creating 2 other lines down below the bevel base and chain those in with the the bevel only to run it and it not cut the bevel anymore.

Any idea how I can incorporate both into one toolpath?

Thanks!!!

I didn't actually do it with a finish pass, per say. Must have just been wonky last night when I tried with the multi line cuts thing, cause it worked this morning.

Second problem on the same lines; What if I wanted to do a similar thing except with a bevel (the same size) on the bottom and the top. Would DOC tapered walls still work?