Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Help!

Michael Reynolds

""""""""My college is exploring software to replace Unigraphics (cuz after release 17 UG will no longer support alfa processers). """"""""""""

JAMES

quote:

If you want to teach "What's out there in industry", then you have a few choices.

Unigraphics is an awsum mature product. Our U.G. programmer here at Simon, is really respected .

IMHO try to keep the existing system.

Scott Bond loyal Mastecam user.

sorry gotta give my two bits to this one

look at what u are doing and work from there

i use four programs for three very different jobs

granted i work in a cnc protoyping shop so my job is to get the job out quick and correct herre is what i find is best

drawing 2d autocad: kick xxxx at being very very fast, learn the shortcut keys get a scroller mouse tune your clicks and whip up dirty fixtures and tool geometry so fast heads spin,i agree cadkey is good i just know autocad, point is it is a 2d drawing package, dxf into mastercam, levels even transfer over lock and load

machining: mastercam, chain it , cut it ship it, sucks to draw in, kicks xxxx at machining that is what it is a cam package

assemblies: solidworks fast to learn powerful enough for alomst all applications, look i am not building a 777 here it's cheaper and easrier than proe

crazy surfaces rhino take it from the animators here works like a charm

my two bits

Man oh Man! What a Topic this reminds me of the time when they asked..."What is the best Accounting software?", to 50 Accountants and they came back with 50 Answers. It's all a matter of what you are doing. Actually all the above mentioned are good solid modelers...(Even the Autodesk products) Jay, James & Scott have different choices and have been doing CNC work for years but it realy comes down to this...."WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU DOING?!"

Anyway just Ask me at Westec and I'll Tell you the answer. ~ Stefan wink.gifsmile.giftongue.gifbiggrin.gifcool.gifrolleyes.gif

[ 03-11-2002, 06:50 PM: Message edited by: Stefan Brigati ]

I have a very good friend who programs with UG and has used Mastercam at another company.

According to him UG has great 5-axis functionality, but to do something simple like drilling a hole requires many, many steps.

His bottom-line assessment is that UG is best for the high end 5-axis stuff, but Mastercam is better for everything else.

Software changes constantly. It's not fair to compare Mastercam 6.0 with the latest rev of UG. Mastercam has developed lightyears in the last 3 years. Take a close look at what 9 can do, and I think you'll be suprised. We are closing the gap on the high end stuff quickly.

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

quote:

Having used both Mastercam(Kiddiecam) and UG

I just have to address this one. In my day I've put away(speed efficiency, etc...) every UG programmer I've run into (about 5-6) and they have YEARS more experience using UG that I have with Mastercam. So that tells me one or two things, either they all sucked (I seriously doubt that, because they did some fine work) or their software of choice was cumbersome, hard to use, too powerful, etc... It's like comparing Apples and Oranges. Engineering Software vs. CAM software. No comparison. Give me Mastercam and I'll get the job done REGARDLESS!!!!!