Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

MCX Control Definition

RCT

Is there any reason why the "save" icon will not actually save the changes to my control, or machine definition, I have added a new post, and when I exit, it acts like its saving, but when open my properties page, it still shows the old one.. its like its not saving the change...

RCT,

When you make changes to your control definition, through the Machine Definition Manager, you must re-load the machine for the changes to take effect. Open the Machine Group Properties, click the "replace" button and select the same machine from your CNC Machines folder. Mastercam will now reload the machine, control, and post.

FYI,

You should always edit the Control definition THROUGH the Machine Definition Manager. Open the Machine Definition Manager and click on the 7th button from the left at the top of the dialog box (Edit Control Definition). Make your edits to the control definition, save the changes and close the control definition dialog box. Click yes when prompted. Now click ok on the MDM and click yes when it asks you to save.

Finally you will get a dialog box that asks you: "Do you want to replace your current machine (machine X) with this new machine (Machine X)?

Click yes. This forces Mastercam to replace your current MD, CD, and post with the newly modified MD, CD, and post.

HTH,

Colin - Ya thats exactly what I had been doing. But for some reason its like it did not want to save, or loose that old post, I even went into the posts from the CD and deleted all of them execpt my new one, and it still brought them all back, finally I went to the location of that old post and DELETED it (from that folder) and then my OP Manager showed NONE for post, I then went into the CD and selected my new post, and It finially saved it. Maybe this has something to do with it reading a post outside of the normal MCX directories?

RCT,

The process for associating a new post to an existing control def is a little confusing. Here is how I do it.

Open the MD, from the dialog box open the CD. Click on the Posts button.

In the dialog box, click add file. Browse to the correct folder and select the post you want to add (The post can be in ANY folder, ours is on a network for example).

Mastercam will add the post to the list of available posts, but there will be a little icon on the left that looks like a piece of paper with a plus sign in it.

Click ok on the dialog box to close it.

In the CD dialog box, click on the drop down list next to the post button. You will see a list of the available posts, again with the plus signs. Select your new post from the list.

It will show the post name in the list box with the plus. Now go and click the Save button for the CD.

The plus sign will be replaced with a green check mark. You MUST see the green check mark before the post is truely associated with the CD.

On a side note, if you open the CD, click on the posts button and delete all the posts listed in the folder, Save the CD, go back into the posts button and make sure they are really gone (sometimes it defaults back to the last post <-bug?) and then Save the CD and the MD.

Now when you look in the Machine Group Properties you will see your MD file name, the CD file name, and the post will show NONE in red letters.

Now when you go to post, the Post Processor button will be active in the upper right corner and you will be able to select ANY post to post with. Your post will have to be compatible with the type of toolpaths you are creating, but it will let you choose your post manually. I would not recommend doing it this way, but it does work.

HTH,