Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Ok , Where are my files?

steelhead77

Greetings,

Ok, I know I've posted about this before and some of you think I'm just not paying attention to where I'm saving my files, but I've been using Mastercam for 7 years now and I think I know what I'm doing. My files keep disappearing!!! I will be working on a file and go to file/save and it is NOT there to be overwritten. If I do a file/get the one I am currently working on is NOT listed in the dialog box and neither is the one that preceeded it. I do a file search in windows and the file is NOT on my hard drive. Anywhere!! All the recut files are there, but NO MC8 file. WHAT IS GOING ON!!?? I've lost THREE files in the last TWO days because of this. I repeat I am not a rookie with Mastercam, I have been the Mastercam guru and advocate in our shop for three years. I use Mastercam at least 6 hours a day 5 days a week, I have NEVER had this problem with V7. I need to get this fixed ASAP. If there is anyone at CNC software that can resolve this, please email me at [email protected].

Thanks,

Scott

Scott,

I have seen a problem in v8 that sounds similar to what is happening to you. If you go to save a file or get a file and as you are opening the directory the file is in move your mouse sometimes Mastercam will create a series of sub directories with the same name.

When this happpens I have found that the file is present somewere so I don't know what could have caused your files to disappear. Take a look at the directories you were saving to and look for a group of subdirectories that all have the same name.

The problem of multiple dirs with same name has been fixed in v8.

Other than that I don't know what could be causing your problem

Greg

Reminds me of my experience with Ver 7.0. After about 3 months, I noticed that a large file saved very fast and when it was opened, I only had the features that were on screen at the time. Apparently I was the first to report this, but not the last. It may be useful to know your OS for the rest of us. Are there problems in NT. Win98 or Win2000?

Following on From Gregs Response I have found that situation a few times the latest as of yesterday which has been the worst to date. I'm using windows 2000 V8beta2 and I went to get a file and there were no files none AT all, ok so I jump to explorer and there is my MC8 directory and I go in there and theres another MC8 directory so on and so on. I opened all of them ie 16 or so then it said cant open any more. The only way I could get my files was to do a Search then grab them from the Find dir and move them. Then delete all the other directories.

Regards Karl