Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

5-Axis Posts

kccadcam

Is there a generic 5-axis post like the stock MPFAN out there somewhere???

I have a new Matsuura VG800 with a Tsudakoma tilt rotary table- A=Tilt C=Rotary A tilts about the X axis and C rotates about Z axis

This type of setup seems to be pretty common around here.

I have some customers who have similar setups and would like a post that is "easily" ha ha customized for either 5-axis positioning or full 5-axis contouring etc.

BTW, the new 5-axis multisurf toolpaths are way to cool!!!! cool.gif

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

quote:

If so, is there a manual or any other documentation that describes how?

No there is no documentation for specific machines per se. The generic 5 Axis Post basically has all the math to correctly calculate vector motion (this is contained in the mpgen5x.psb file which is binary and cannot be modified by the end user). The mpgen5x.pst is the file where all the formatting is located, the notes on how to use the post and the cycles. You'll either need to get the Post CD (which will tell you nothing if you don't know what you're looking at) or contact your MC Reseller and have them make the necessary modifications(and it will probably be at a price as well. The Evloution is a nightmare of a post from what I've been told.

Thanks CADCAM,

That's exactly what I was looking for.

Who are some of the dealers and or users that specialize in 5-axis posts? Who's the best to talk to at Mastercam?

I've got 3 and 4 axis post down real well but need more advice on 5-axis.

Any help is GREATLY appreciated!!!

The Matsuura is not that difficult, but if you want to use it as a full 5-axis post you have to calculate intermitate points when the A-axis is near zero and you have large C-axis movement, if not you will gouge your part. All 5axis machines has a point where they are "unstable", on a machine like this, it is when the A-axis is near zero or zero. so make sure that your post can handle this.

The DMU50/70, what I said about the Matsuura is also true here too. But this machine is a little harder because of the 45 degree angle between the A and C-axis. This makes the math a little more interesting.

If you want to know something about the Cimco 5-axis post, please email me.

[email protected]