Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

How to setup a post

Demon440

Here's the deal, we have a post made for a mazak VMC that works pretty good. Only problem is that it turns coolant off for some reason. We also have a lot of Mazak horizontal mills that are using the same post. What the guy before me did was just modify the VMC post to work on the horizontal. So that’s what I've been doing too. It's a real pain, I have to change all the M143s to m6s, all the A axis to B with the right number, and a bunch of other crap too (I have a check list). Anyhow could someone guide me to a real easy step-by-step guide for setting up a post or maybe a book? Thanks in advance.

Demon,

For X2 the best thing you could possibly do is download the MPMaster post off of this website. It comes with both a Vertical and a Horizontal Machine/Control combo.

Most posts contain variable switches that allow you to change the post's output. Here is a quick example:

code:

# --------------------------------------------------------------------------

# Rotary Axis Settings

vmc : 1 #0 = Horizontal Machine, 1 = Vertical Mill

rot_on_x : 1 #Default Rotary Axis Orientation, See ques. 164.

#0 = Off, 1 = About X, 2 = About Y, 3 = About Z

rot_ccw_pos : 1 #Axis signed dir, 0 = CW positive, 1 = CCW positive

index : 0 #Use index positioning, 0 = Full Rotary, 1 = Index only

ctable : 5 #Degrees for each index step with indexing spindle

use_frinv : 0 #Use Inverse Time Feedrates in 4 Axis, (0 = no, 1 = yes )

maxfrdeg : 2000 #Limit for feed in deg/min

maxfrinv : 999.99#Limit for feed inverse time

frc_cinit : 1 #Force C axis reset at toolchange

ctol : 225 #Tolerance in deg. before rev flag changes

ixtol : 0.01 #Tolerance in deg. for index error

frdegstp : 10 #Step limit for rotary feed in deg/min

In the above section there are variables to set the machine orientation, the axis of rotation, the signed axis direction, ect.

There would be another section (called format assignments) that would assign the "A" or "B" address letter to the rotary code output.

The reason I'm suggesting starting over with the MP Master, is that most Pre-X posts that have been converted to X (with the update post utility) lack some of the more advanced logic for different comments, coolant types, operation parameters, ect. This all comes for free in the MPMaster, it's already built in. biggrin.gif

The next thing you need to wrap your head around is the method of Horizontal programming. You should always program your parts with the WCS set to Top, and the Cplane and Tplane set to Front. This means you need to draw your part and position it on the Front plane. This way Mastercam outputs your rotations for you and you can use the "Transform Toolpath" to program a part at B0 with G54 and then make multiple copies to B90, B180 and B270, and Mastercam will kick out the rotary code and increment the work offsets as well (G55,G56,G57, ect.)

You will always want WCS set to Top and then you will just choose Front, Right, Back, or Left to proram in, or you can do a Planes - Rotate Planes command and rotate your plane about Z to any angle you want. Programming a toolpath on this new plane will cause the post to automatically output the correct B angle.

The only book that is currently available is the MP Post reference guide for V9. There is also a Mastercam X Post Parameter guide, which is basically an update to the V9 book. Contact your reseller for the V9 post Guide.

Start with the MP MAster and we'll help you through the changes.

HTH,

• 4 weeks later...

Ok, so I downloaded the new mpmaster. It is way different than the posts that I am currently using. I have 5 posts that I have put a lot of work into through V9 and X, and I really don't want to just start over.

What is the best/most efficient way of getting the newer mpmaster to post the way your older posts have.

Any other info/tidbits will be greatly appreciated.

quote:

What is the best/most efficient way of getting the newer mpmaster to post the way your older posts have.

Some of the changes you have made may have been optionized in your Control Def. so check that option first. After that, try doing a file compare in Cimco edit to see what kind of mods you want to make. Record you changes as you go as comments in the post so you can keep track of what you've done.

This is where when you are editing a post and adding in functionality if it is at all possible take a "modular" approach. Use post blocks and calls to them so if you ever need to change it's a matter of coping the post block adding the and variables and you're done.

I know it doesn't help you at this moment but if you embark on editing your posts for new ones taking this approach can save time down the line.

JM2C