Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Post processor problem...

tcraft

I have a custom post that was not working with 7.2c anymore after we upgraded to windows 2000 so we bought verion 8.1 and now this is the error message when running post - "unable to read binary file". The psb file is all kinds of mess in there, cannot read it. Maybe it is fubar?

A *.psb file is a binary file meant to protect a post writers valuable time and energy. A .psb file can be coded to a SIM, programmed to timeout, coded to a certain version(I think) or a few other features. Many 5 axis posts have the Vector Math in the *.psb so that it cannot be stolen. In your post you'll see a line that says "startbin" and "endbin". startbin is where the post considers the data inside the binary(*.psb) file, and endbin is where it stops.

Hope that helped.

James Meyette from CADCAM's box.

Ok james what box would that be?

[ 04-06-2002, 01:51 PM: Message edited by: cadcam ]

Just to update everyone....

tcraft is now up and running under MC v7. smile.gif Their problem was related to the MP.DLL version that they were trying to use with Mastercam version 7.2b/c. They were sent the correct files and are now able to generate ouput.

=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=

confused.gif

tcraft's post processor was for their Thermwood 5 axis router and was written for Mastercam Version 7.2c/b by CNC Automation. The post is compiled, as cadcam put it: "to protect a post writers valuable time and energy.". CNC Automation's Thermwood 5 axis posts (v5/6/7/8/9) are being used in Canada, the US and Europe.

The tcraft's post will not run with version 8.1 for two reasons:

1. Since the post was compiled with version 7's MPBIN, the MP.DLL in version 8 cannot read it.

2. Due to various changes between MC version 7.2 and 8.0/8.1, the post's output (if compiled for v8.x) would have errors due to variations in the NCI format and MP.DLL version.

(Forum Moderator: The following is not intended as any type of promotion. We are hoping to keep Mastercam uses who are upgrading aware of the post issues and allow them to remain operational if they do so.)

** As a note, there were also changes required between version 8.1 and 8.11 (again due to NCI changes). Although verion 8 and 8.1 of the post will run under MC 8.11, the output may contain errors or ommisions depending on the operation type and parameters. Mastercam users that purchased the version 8.0 or 8.1 version of the post (through Thermwood or another authorized dealer) may request a free smile.gif update to the 8.11 version. Contact the dealer that sold you your original post for further information.

** Mastercam users running CNC Automation's Thermwood 5 Axis post and upgrading to Mastercam version 9 should note that their have again been changes to the NCI/MP.DLL. eek.gif Contact Thermwood or your post supplier for information on the new post version and if you are entitled to an update at no charge smile.gif .

I agree Jay that backups are very good to have but I deal with people going to places they shouldn't be and doing things they shouldn't do and the usual canned response is "I didn't do anything"! So if I change it to a binary file there is less risk that they will mess with it. Its not the cure but it may be a good way to keep my posts safe!

John

Mpbin can:

1. Restrict to a specific sim number (possibly also running on any dealer sim).

2. Restrict to a specific sim type (most commonly educational).

3. Require an access code tied to the sim number. Since any dealer can generate this sim number, I doubt that option is used very often.

We rarely use Mpbin, as most special post processors we make use .dll files which create a temporary NCI file, and these .dll files require an access code (and a .prm file to set the machine configuration).

A warning to anyone out there who use post processors that run by special .dll files (from us or from other sources): Our version 8 .dll files process all but one of my post test files correctly when copied to version 9. In other words, they fail on one file. Try ask accounting this question: What does it cost in repairs and lost production, if the head assembly hits the part or table at rapid feed? I believe that price tag will be much higher than the cost of an updated .dll file. I recently told a dealer who had noticed that the version 8 .dll files seemed to work in version 9 this, and told him that the customer was free to gamble if they wanted to. The following day, there was an order for an update...

[ 04-13-2002, 03:45 PM: Message edited by: Christian Raebild ]