Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Rotary on VMC

mikee

Using ver 8.1.1 and the Haas post. When using tool plane rotation for indexing a part on a rotary, top tool plane posts ok but the bottom view (# 4)has the signs (+/-) reversed for x and y

In other words, say if I drill some holes in the top plane, and the holes are all -x,+y. If I have that same pattern on the bottom side of a part (still looking from the top view), and now work those hole from plane #4. I get the 180 deg rotation but -x becomes +x. Only Y should change sign.

Is this a post problem, or is there a trick to this that I am not seeing ? confused.gif

Thanks in advance

Mikee

I use these indexers all the time. What you you need to do instead of using view #4 is have your graphis view in isometric and your construction and tool planes in the side view. Select cplane, rotate, y up, enter the rotation angle, in this case 180, then save as a named view. Then use this view for you toolpaths. The bottom view #4 is rotated 180 degrees from the top view. I believe you will need to do this for the 270 degree view as well. The front view works OK as view #2. Hope this helps.

maestro is right. make sure the X axis on the new c/tplane always points in the same direction (usually in the X+ coord system direction).

the best way to do this is always start with Top to define a new c/tplane. set the angle using Y up function, entering the angle you want the rotary axis to rotate to.

if you accidentally reverse the new c/tplane x, when you post, you'll get an error "warning only single axis rotations allowed". this is because the post sees this the change in X and Y as a 5-axis move (which it is).

another thing I do is put the angle in the Comment section on the Tool parameters page; A35.5, and set the post to output comments in the cnc file.

the comment comes out in the line just before the index move, something like this:

(A35.5)

G0 A35.5

This makes it easy to compare the expected output with the code to make sure I didn't screw up.

I also name each new workplane as the angle of tilt; A35.5 so it is easy to re-select a plane for subsequent ops.

i just sent you a haas 4axis post i've proven out with a customer just in case you need it.

[ 04-05-2002, 04:02 PM: Message edited by: Charles Davis from San Diego CADCAM ]