Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

lathe rough canned

Columbo™

I don't get any errors with canned rough. Here is basic principle of what I do (all with stock defined);

Canned rough (facing) - I chain the face, then go to lead in/out, lead in, add line, define, and drag the line from the start point to above the top of the stock (or you can calculate it...)

Simlarly with the leadout, I add line, define, click on the last point of the chain, then drag down to center (or just past). Never fails.

Canned rough (od/id) - 2 parts to this one;

1. Turning with a chamfer lead in, just go to lead in and add .1 to the lead in amount, lead out...whatever needed.

2. Turning with a radius lead in, go to lead in/out, lead in, disable extend start of contour, add line, length = .1 angle = 0

Works like a hot darn... If you need a file example, just let me know and I can make one up real quick for ya, just shoot me an email and let me know.

Edit: Oh yeah, and primarily on everything I do, since MC rapid to the part on X and Z together, I always add a REF POINT on Z approach as 1" and disable the X. Then it goes from 1" away into first cut location...

HTH

I assume it's the collision with stock when it tries to rough out the undercut and the back undercut section of the part that you are talking about...?

If so, I don't know as much about Okuma as I would like, but I have never seen a canned cycle that can handle undercuts very well. Tyically it will crash (actually backcut) because the insert is not moving forward on consecutive steps down the undercut.

Is this where the problem is?

I get the collision on ALL approach moves. Our guys like the Okuma canned cycle. Depth of cut, amount to leave, etc. can be adjusted on the floor instead of reposting.

The main problem is the tool tapis into the part then the g1. If you look at the diameter behing the large collar diameter it rapids quite a bit into the piece. (not to cool with 13-8 heat treated).

Right. Such is what I was talking about. If Okuma canned cycles act the same as Fanuc canned cycles, I will always go back to the same point, plunge straight down (be it plunge using rapid or feed) and backcut with the tool until it reaches it's next depth and starts along the Z axis.

If you use rough, instead of canned rough, it actually feeds down the part, based on the tool angle, and does not backcut, thus not causing the crash alarm. I actually did this with your part and it worked just fine.

The alternative would be to notch out clearance for the tool to rapid down behind the collar (with a groove tool or similar) and then you would be home free.

I have the same problem here. All the guys want canned cycles, but in some instances (our machines all being fanuc controlled) they have to deal with a bit of long hand. Especially when it comes to undercutting like that.

Thanks Randy, I had a feeling that the canned cycle wasn't working right. I guess that unless it is a simple tool path like rough turning a straight diameter the rough canned is useless.

I have noticed with the simple stuff MC canned cycle works, its the multiple steps, etc. where MC has the problem.

I remember in V9, you never saw the full canned motion in backplot, you only saw the finish pass.

Is it possible to see it that way again????? You never had a collision in previous versions.

Again thanks for the help and info.