Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Quad Core

xrock

I am in the process of building a quad core system based on the Q6600 CPU.

I am doing this realizing that Mastercam does not utilize the multiple processors at this time but that math functions and such will be pushed off on other processors as determined by the OS.

Where this system will shine is in the ability to multi-task with little if any performance degradation.

Loss???

A loss from what comparing a single processor to a 2 or 4 core processor?

I don't have the "data" to back this up but no I do not believe there is any loss, there are gains actually. Other system tasks, while running your single app can be directed to other processors, thus allowing your task access to more CPU cycles.

Where as if you are running a single CPU it must share the clock with the everything else that is running.

That part I know. given that MC doesn't utilize multiple processors. this is my question.

Example:

generate an advanced 5 axis path on an extreme single core. generate same path on a duo 2 core. generate same path on a quad core. no other apps running. what difference is there if any. The reason I am asking is here.

Thanks for any input guys.

Matt,

I believe the short answer to this to be yes, there IS a difference.

You could set one of the processors to run ONLY Mastercam, while all of you other "over head" processes could be left to run on the rest of the cores.

So far the multiple core processors have shown themselves to be faster than a single processor running at a higher Mhz in many appliations.

I believe this is directly related to the "over head" process running and having some, if mot all of their clock cycles run in the other cores.