Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Genesis by Encode? Any users out there?

I'm using a 30 year old text based programming system called Genesis by a now defunct company called Encode, formerly of Nashua, New Hampshire.

I'm just trying to see if I'm the only one out here still using it. I don't find squat on the internet since they went under in the late 80's early 90's I believe.

A Wolf in the Wilderness,

Scott

Hi Scott

I'm still an occasional user of genesis. I used nothing else until we got Mastercam X, so I've got 25 years of genesis programs. My Dad started Encode back in about '73 and I worked there back in my teens before he sold it.

It's nice to know there a few people out there still using it.

Before my time and maybe before the 3d software got so advanced with solids & such they had a part here that was like a screw with a variable pitch. They gave this part to just about everyone with a Cam system to sell and NOBODY could do it. We did it with Genesis. It's very powerful, almost like a cam system with Macro-B built in. I'm so used to it that when I do use MC I can get ticked off because I'm used to that ultra high level of control. Also, I find that when I'm double checking my programs it's much easier. I don't have the greatest graphics but for 2-1/2D I don't really need it.

So far I use MC only for 3d work. I can modify existing programs for 2-1/2d so quick I have been slow to move over exclusively to Mastercam.

Piecing together parts of programs can't get much easier than text cut 'n' paste.

If I ever had to start my own shop I would go with Genesis just because it is so simple but yet I can still do some powerful things.

I've got some lathe parts that vary in diameter and 1 angle that I made a program for that I just initialize some variables and voila! Program finished!

Hey Span, would you mind if I email you about Genesis?

Scott

I tell you, If I had the software knowledge I'd love to make a Windows version of Genesis. Text can be very powerful but yet simple.

Also, Span, do you know how to make Genesis posts?

We cannot change our posts, we bought 3 new Haas machines and I use a text macro that converts our 6MB code for the Haas. I hope you don't mind me asking but is your father still around? If he is tell him that we are still using Genesis and probably will be until PC's won't support dos programs. That'll be when we will have to switch 100%.

Scott

Scott

yes, you can email me (dbaldwin at gwi dot net).

I have done posts, but it's been awhile. What version of Genesis are you running?

My Dad is still around and well. He'll be glad to hear that Genesis is still being used.

I'd be using it more myself if it were practical for the work we're doing now.