Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

thermoforming question

Ray H.

Does anyone know of a way to model a draped surface or solid. What I mean is that the part for instance be a convential light buld for an older car. Laying on a table for instance. It would be ideal for the model to be drafted with a fillet on all drafted edges internal and external that would match the profile of the say 5 degree tapered ball endmill. It is possible to machine the part the way I want but no way to model the part efficiently. As far as I this cannot even be done in Solidworks. banghead.gif

just thinking out loud....

could you cut a cross section thru the widest part of the headlight model and then project the outer contour to a plane at the bottom and do something simular at the top and then create a lofted surface between...

I am sure that it does not have to be exactly perfect to the bulb....

just my thoughts...

I found last night that the best result is to do a create, parting line curve then draft a surface down from there. Although I tried a few models and it seems to work. Only on models that have a tangency arc rather than sharp corners and cannnot be vertical (like). When the latter occurs the Drafted surface that I creat folds over itself when placed at almost any angle. As for solids it has to have a planar chain set. I also tried to perform a ruled solid or surface and the syncing twists on any setting. Swept didn't give good results either.

Thanks Eric,

By the way ther is a software called sculpt CAD that does really cool stuff like this.