Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Okuma Multus 400

Mick

Is anyone out there using/programming one of these?

I'm keen to hear some feedback. We're considering one of these, and I'm interested to hear positive, and negative feedback on these machines.

I've used/programmed a lot of Okumas over the years, and I'm very keen to check one of these out smile.gif

Greg,

One of my customers has just ordered one (Fred is VERY happy smile.gif ), plus here at work, we're considering one, plus a LB300MY (well, the new model). We have too many Mori Seikis smile.gif

How was Japan?

Sounds like we might be meeting up somehow, if all this Okuma activity is something to go by smile.gif

• 2 weeks later...

I have been working with the Multus platform for a while. The programming is very easy to work with. the biggest problem that users seem to have is looking at it only as a lathe with milling. I know several people who are bar feeding mill jobs on the machines. It is a mental shift, but going from bar stock,(round, square, hex or extrusion) to parts catcher with mill work is something that doesn't occur to people until they see it work and do the math. One friends biggest problem was getting consistent aluminum stock so they could run lights out without having to worry about chips wrapping up on tools. But 6 hours a night of 5 axis milling on small parts changed them from thinking 40 taper mill with a pallet system to bar loader lathe, with a smaller footprint.

quote:

I know several people who are bar feeding mill jobs on the machines. It is a mental shift, but going from bar stock,(round, square, hex or extrusion) to parts catcher

Ah yes this is definatly the way to go. Bar stock is reasonably cheap and barfeeders are very reliable.

We also have people who have taken this to the next step ans have included an OGL with the twin spindle lathe to manufacture square parts.

Mick,

I am glad to be back all that Asahi beer was knocking me around.

• 3 weeks later...

We´re using the B400 at work (my precious wink.gif ) witch works semi-ok.

Appearantly its the second unit shipped to EU market so there are a few odd behaviours, especially with the tool swapping (pinches tools too firmly, making it hard to remove them).

Other than that, i had nothing but problems with the network licence post, especially with the tool buffer (load next tool as soon as it swaps in the first one) but also with c-axis movements witch sometimes gives negative X-values (can only go x-20 (metric) but mastercam posts up to x-120...

But its all comming together, slowly but making progress smile.gif

Apart from the above mentioned issues, its a REALLY nice and user-friedly machine, i love it! biggrin.gif

..Does anyone know what type of basic programming-language the B400 uses?

..im trying to learn howto program the sensor cycles but drawing blanks since i have no idea at all regarding programming...

any links/ideas/suggestions?

• 2 weeks later...