Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Drilling 45 deg. Angle Holes

Rodney J

Hope this is an easy one for all the veterans. We have a project which involves drilling (4)45 degree holes in the face of a part. We have a Mori-Seiki NL-2500Y Lathe to acomplish this feat on. Not real tuff to write this path long hand. We would like to simply create the point geometry and the tool path with mastercam. Has anyone had to do anything special with the machine definition to accomplish this. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Rodney J

Correct me if I am wrong.

You have XZAC

That lathe does not have a B axis, I don't know how you can create 4 holes in the face of a part that are on a 45° angle if your turret can not be indexed to that angle.

Perhaps I don't understand your description.

The machine has a head that reaches this. If so then you would need to create a C-plane at 45 degree along the Y plane using the origin to do this then just pick the point if your post is set-up correct then the head should tilt over to 45 degrees and drill the hole. I would use transform rotate to do the rest. I also like to use the milling toolpath do these types of operation on our Integrex. C axis drilling will not do what I understand you are asking.

Above is for a machine with a B axis.

I went to the WEB site and that machine is not like the NT machine so I would say unless you got a 5 axis machine only way is going to be a bridgeport, or mounting your 4th axis at a 45 degree angle on your CNC mill or indexing head on the bridegport at a 45 degree angle if I understand what you want to do correctly.