Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Rotating Geometry question

neurosis

I know that this has to be a dumb question but I cant seem to find the answer anywhere. At least not one that has made me happy. This has to be simple. I am trying to rotate a part around a line 3-d. Basicly I want to flip a part upside down rotating around a line that ive drawn in the X (part is in space but what would be X) axis. Is this as difficult as I am making it?

Not too difficult.

Define a c-plane to the view you want to rotate around(right plane if you want to rotate around x-axis) Then when you xform rotate, pick the point(endpoint of the line) in which you want rotate about.

If the line is not in a predefined axis, you can create a c-plane using the normal option then select that line you created to establish it.

Is there a place that explains the different planes/views? and the differences between them? There are three right? Construction, Graphics,and Tool? These are all a little confusing to me. I notice in my tool path sometimes even though my working coordinate system origin is in the right spot my tool plane and my comp/construction plane will both still say -TOP- even though the origin is different in X, Y, and Z. It still posts correctly though. Is it important that these all say the same thing? and only under certain circumstances (4 axis?)

I actually talked to him on the phone yesterday. It sounded like the class is more geared towards making the switch from v9. Im thinking about going down there soon and sitting in for the day in hopes that it will help me out a little. I also should be doing the tutorials but I dont really have the time to spend playing with them. I need code right now so im learning as I go.