Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Chaining parts with common edges

mcuser99

With Mastercam X2 Router, how would I chain lots of small rectangular nested parts using common edge? When i chain lines one by one in chosen cutting direction, it uses each line as a single chained entity and adds lead-in and retract moves. I tried to change chaining tolerance to 16mm (the distance between each part is 13mm) in chaining options, but it still doesn't give me a single toolpath. Ideas please?

J.

First make sure your rectangles form a complete chained loop. Seems like your geometry may be at different Z heights and that would result in only a single lined chained entity.

If that's the case project the rectangles to the same Z depth using your top construction plane.

I found the solution. Pretty simple rolleyes.gif All I needed to do was set Sync Mode to "by entity" in chaining options, and set the chaining tolerance greater than the gap between my parts. Works great for common edge nesting. This thread should be moved to the router forum. Most people who run CNC routers do nesting, and common edge nesting provides a big boost to cycle times.

mcuser99,

Glad it has worked out for you in router.

That tolerance method for me in mill isn't the solution so I fooled around with it some.....

Did you ever try this way?...

In the chaining dialog box choose (start chain at point)

Then create a point where you would like the chain to start on each and every rectangle. In my case I selected my geometry and there were a lot of small radii (reason for me not messing with the chain tolerance). Actually I picked area and then just deleted the outer chain selection afterwords.

The result was it did not pick the points as geometry and all the chains started where I wanted them to. This way my lead in and lead out did not interfere with any geometry.

So I have learned something from your post by messing with some chain settings that should save me some time in the future!

Have a great Friday!

cheers.gif