Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Is there a lathe forum?

TK-32™

Guys I have been following this and seen other threads over the years asking for different forums. Some have got that O/T being the biggest one, Developers, Educational, and latest being woodworking. How far do we go? Do we have a Level 1 Mill, Level 2 Mill, Level 3 Mill, 4 Axis Vertical, 4 axis Horizontal, 5 Axis, 2 Axis Lathe, 2 Axis Lathe with C axis, 2 axis lathe with C axis and Y axis, 4 Axis lathe with B axis. Then we got wire, art and what ever else they come up with. I like the one forum here and if you notice I do not go over to O/T that much. I do not go over to the developers forum that much. If there are too many forums then you may not get the response times you are getting now. If you are not sure hope over to CNCzone and so how quick someone answers your question in the Mastercam forum over there.

Just my thought and opinion on this one guys.

This is the Lathe forum. It's just been overrun by Mill guys for far too long. j/k

To paraphrase a famous CNC Software guy "a mill is just a simplified multi-tasking lathe".

The main forum has always been the best place for general Mastercam questions, regardless of the specific product. The Woodworking forum is a result of this main one feeling too 'metal' for the wood peeps.

[ 03-26-2008, 07:44 AM: Message edited by: Dave Thomson ]

quote:

Maybe they'll give us a Mill/Turn forum when MC fully supports M/T?

Ouch! That's a bit harsh biggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

quote:

Just so everyone is clear!

On the lathe the part spins and the tool is stationary.

On the mill the tool spins and the part is stationary.

Funny, we have lathes where the part and the tool spins.

We also have mills where the tool and the part spins.

Depends a lot on how many axes (plural of axis I had to look that one up biggrin.gif ) your machine has that determines what is moving when, whether it be on a lathe or mill.

As to the issue of the topic, I could go either way. I could see the benefits of splitting lathe and mill into subsets of the Mastercam forum. I can also see the point that -- this is an all encompassing (except wood workers wink.gif ) Mastercam forum and as such doesn't need broken down further.

ok guys it was a joke!

(its a big joke around here anyhow)

since you picked that one apart how bout this,

we had a new engineering manager that was asking the difference between a horizontal mill and a vertical.

we told him on the vert the spindle is vertical and on on the horiz it is horizontal.

brought him out into the shop to look at machines and he says "so this is a horizontal?"

NO! that is a lathe! LMAO!!!

it was a horizontal lathe so i guess he was half right.

G-code. Thread got carried away. I have a different solution for your question on "Diameter" lines.

First thing I do is select the machine I will be programming for. You can set lathes up so that the format automatically changes to diameter when one is selected. Haven't used X2 enough to give you step-by-step instructions from home.

Might be able to from work tomorrow if you still need help figuring out how to do it. Depends. Other programmer is on vacation this week, and my days have been pretty hectic with him out.

quote:

On the lathe the part spins and the tool is stationary.

On the mill the tool spins and the part is stationary.

funny....I've had parts spin in a mill ( that weren't supposed to )

and I've also have tools spin in the lathe ( that weren't supposed to) banghead.gif

I hate when that happens. biggrin.gif

G-code. Did you get the lathes set for diameter drawing?

Select the lathe. Click on Settings, Machine Definition Manager, edit general Machine Parameters icon, and then on CPlane, WCS, HTC/VTL on the upper right. We always use +D+Z.

Apologize if you already have it figured out.