Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Verify Help Needed

NeilJ

I have an imported IGES file of a part that needs a few features added and machined. I set up a new WCS for the part and called it OP-1. I made OP-1 my current WCS and made sure both T plane and C plane were checked for the OP-1 WCS. I then saved this file as an .STL file so I could use it as the start point when doing verification on the features I added to this existing part.

In Verify I choose the .STL file I saved but the coordinate systems is in the wrong place and Verify cuts the feature on the wrong side of the part and in the wrong place.

Can someone tell me what I'm doing wrong? How about a step by step on how to use an .STL file for Verify?

Set your WCS and t/c plane to top. the regular old system top that the iges comes in at. save as .stl from there. also check your stock setup page on the machine group area. set that to top also.

you can have all your machining and verifying in whatever wcs you want, that initial stl save needs to be done in system top.

I think what Chris Rizzo posted will help me out. The reason I say I think is I ran into another problem at work today. I get an error message. The message is - "LW has found the STL file not to be closed and water tight. An approximation will be used for stock." Is there a setting I can change for Mastercam Verify so that this STL file will be closed and water tight? The IGES file is from Pro/E. I mostly get Pro/E IGES files to work with.

quote:

Is there a setting I can change for Mastercam Verify so that this STL file will be closed and water tight?

No there is not,

From that error I am going to guess you are using Version 9 still?

If you use the WCS, you can set everything up and verify using one blank which will help that error from not occuring

We are using X2 MR2. I create a new WCS for every new Toolpath Group.

"If you use the WCS, you can set everything up and verify using one blank which will help that error from not occurring".

This is what I want to do in this case. I already do this when I'm machining the entire part. Often I get an existing Pro/E IGES file and I am asked to add features to the existing part. I wish to start with the existing shape of the part so that Verify will be accurate. I can't do this because with this file Verify defaults to a block after giving the error - "LW has found the STL file not to be closed and water tight. An approximation will be used for stock." This defeats what I'm trying to do which is to start with the existing part shape.