Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Okuma Multus B300

Mr. M

quote:

The shop I work for is buying one and I was wodering if anyone has one, and what they think of it.

Also I would like to know what the distance between the chucks is, what the salesman tell me and the machine specs sheet says is diff by ten inches!!!

THANKS

Copied from the Off Topic Forum

any help would be great!

We have just commissioned an Okuma Multus B400-W. It has been in the shop approx. 3 weeks.

I have to say, I really love this machine. It is great to usse, and the sup spindle use is actually quite easy.

The down side? Well, yesterday morning, whilst the operator was proving a part out, midway through a facing cut, the casting came out of the chuck, and as a result, knocked the B axis out of alignment. Bad enough, that it has bent the two location pins. So, now we face approx 2 1/2 days down time, whilst it is repaired.

My concern there, is that it seems there is relatively little force required to knock the B axis out of alignment. Something to think about.

The only other two gripes:

1) Limited tool capacity. We really wanted 120+ tools, but we could only have 80

2) The parts catcher reception bin sticks out the front of the machine, right where you stand to load the workpiece and check the workpiece, in the main spindle. It is that much of a pain, that we are going to take it off, and only use it when we need to.

Oh, and one other thing: There is no way to lock out the chuck pedals, via a switch or M code. It is REAL easy to step on the chuck open pedal (our operator did it with a finished casting in the chuck, just before the sub spindle operation)

Aside from that, they are real nice machines. Email off the board for more info if you want. And get the post processor from Inhouse. It is almost spot on.

quote:

Oh, and one other thing: There is no way to lock out the chuck pedals, via a switch or M code. It is REAL easy to step on the chuck open pedal (our operator did it with a finished casting in the chuck, just before the sub spindle operation)

I made a box to put over my pedals on the Integrex I run for that same reason!

• 2 months later...

Our shop is looking at buying a Okuma, Multus B300. In regards to programing, our Mastercam dealer here seems to be limited on multi-axis training. What I am needing is any info on proven Mastercam instructors that would be able to give us the proper training for programing this machine. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

I'll second that. In fact, we're using the post that Greg recommends. We have a Multus B400W, and the post is great.

In fact, it is getting better, as we use it more (we're getting a few features added)