Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Bottom turret Lathe Tools

Errol Groff

We have a Southwest Industries TRAK lathe. I have figured out how to get my tool path to represent the bottom turret configuration but haven't been able to figure out how "flip" the tools over to bottom config. Is there a way to flip the tools or do I have to go through and redraw and resave the tools.

We are using Lathe 7.2.

Thanks.

In V7 Lathe you'll be redrawing/redefining tools, In V9 it is a click of a button. Why do you want to change the set up of Mastercam? I have several customers with the same machine and they program with the typical configuration. If it bothers you that the tools come in from the top turn the monitor upside down it would be easier. smile.gif

Allan

You won't have to redraw all of the tools. Just do the following steps:

1. Back up your tool library file in a safe place!(probably ltools.tl7)

2. Select NC utils -> Define Tools -> Library

3. Select ALL of the tools in the Tools Manager dialog.

4. Right click and select Setup Tool(s)

5. In the Lathe Tool Setup Dialog, click on the 'Bottom' radio button for the turret.

6. You are done! The turret for the tools should now read 'Bottom' instead of 'Top'.

You will, however have to change the home position for each tool individually, or set it using the toolpath parameter page when programming an operation.

I almost forgot important STEP 7: Upgrade to Lathe v9! It's a much better, more flexible and easier to use product.

Oh yes, the simple but all powerfull Al Brown inverted monitor transformation with an added mirror to keep the spindle on the proper side of the desk trick. See page 35 of the Worst Case Senario Survival (Machinists) Handbook!

Effective and "It just Works..."

Thanks for yhe suggestions. I will be trying them this evening. Since I use a 19" monitor at home I don't think that the "turn it over" suggestion is too practical. Thanks anyway.

Since we are a state system we move at the pace of the state of CT. And that is generally at least two versions behind. I have am educators copy of MC at home but see no point to upgrading since that would leave me with 7.2 at school and 9. at home. Not a good situation.

When you read in the papers about all the $$$$ that is being devoted to educaton don't believe everyting yho read. The cash may be going somewhere but not into the shops of the vo-tech system. OTOH, we have gotten some new TRAK retro fits for our B'Ports and the new lahe in the past two years so it probably isn't as bad as I make it out to be. It just coud be better.

I spent yesterday at Eastech and ran into two of my students from my tenure at Wilcox Tech in Meriden. Nice to see two young fellows staying with the trade.