Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Mastercam X2 surfaces

Hao

Hi

I have encountered a problem with the surface finish parallel and the finish project toolpaths. My geometry consists of a random surface and I wanted to project a pocket toolpath onto the surface for letters. The problem is that once it finishes the finish parallel toolpath and starts the finish project toolpath for the pocket, the zigzag pattern is at a different depth as the finish pass for the pocket. I didn't have any offsets and I selected the same surface for both toolpaths so it shouldn't be happening.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

I just tried it with Add Depths but from verify and backplot I don't see any toolpaths being projected anymore. Judging from the toolpaths, it seems that the project finish toolpath is above the actual surface by a lot so it's not cutting it at all.

Z zero of the tool path you're projecting is what gets projected onto the surfaces when add depths is checked and you're not using any positive or negative stock to leave on the surfaces. If using depth cuts above or below Z zero, it's still Z zero that lands on the surfaces.

If you're trying to engrave lettering onto surfaces used for finishing (vs projecting onto surfaces representing the bottom of lettering), then the tool path you're projecting needs to be below Z zero by the depth of the lettering.

Be warned that this method will work satisfactorily on near horizontal up to maybe 20° shapes. As shapes get more vertical you will need to use other strategies else the lettering will become distorted and depth will be inconsistent.

Word of caution, I've had problems with project not working correctly when using work coordinate systems. Enough that when I need to project tool paths, I first make a copy of and translate the geometry to world coords. Saves much aggravation. Is yet another Mastercam feature I'm looking forward to in X3.

Feh.