Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Custom/Edit Post Questions

wcarmn

I wasn’t sure where to ask this. I hope it's ok to start a new thread.

I have owned Mastercam for a couple of years. I am just starting to use it now. We have 16 cnc’s 9 lathes, and 7 verticals. I have written most of our code right at the machine.

I don’t have any custom posts, but I am considering having some done.

I know that my dealer will write these posts. I have talked to them about a couple of features I want, and they make it sound like they are difficult changes…..but reading the forum here, it would seem that they are not too unusual.

I would like to have all tools, and their descriptions listed at the beginning of the program. I also am used to only using N-numbers at each tool. Example N10 would be used for all operations related to tool 1; N20 would be used for all operations related to tool 2, etc.

Please understand; I am well acquainted with g code programming, but not as well acquainted with cam software. I just didn’t use Mastercam much for the first couple of years I owned it. I am trying to learn, and it is going pretty well, now that I am using it more. As I am considering having this custom post work done, it is the old adage—you don’t know what you don’t know. I have an idea about what I need, but I really don’t know what can be done in the post.

If & when I have the posts I need done, I would like to get them right the first time, if possible.

Here are my initial questions:

What other commonly requested items should I consider for my custom posts?

Are there any special considerations regarding canned cycles?

How much(if any) custom post work can I expect my dealer to provide at no cost?

Thank you for your help and suggestions.

wcarmn

quote:

9 lathes, and 7 verticals

Sounds like generic off the shelf posts will do the job just fine. Features that you're talking about are already build in and are fairly simple to accomplish on your own as they're mostly "cosmetic".

Btw, basic posts with simple changes I'd expect included in the initial MC purchase.

hth

First: WELCOME to the greatest thing since sliced bread! biggrin.gif (eMastercam that is)

quote:

We have 16 cnc’s 9 lathes, and 7 verticals.

Do the lathes all have the same control - what about the Verticals?

Or a better question is: Will all the controls use basic Fanuc code?

If so - try the MPMaster post on this site (posts section at top of page) - there is also a MPLMaster for lathes.

These may be tweeked or further modified to match your needs.

Most of that help is also avaliable here - do a few searches, you will be supprised at what you can find for post mods - really great people here with way more knowledge than me.

HTH

Mark

Wcarmn,

I would say in a situation such as your sounds, while there might only be some minor editing that needs to be done, the sheer volume of it would likely tie up an individual for a day or so.

While, as a reseller we "generally" do quick edits like that upon request, the volume may dictate that your reseller put a person "onsite" at your place for a day.

I imagine that while the post edits would be fairly simple, there is a cost of having someone at a place for a day. The other possible caveat, is just because you think a post edit may be easy, depending on what it is, it just might be a bit tricky.

A post or two and quick edits, "likely" at no charge, 16 posts, I would imagine an added cost.

Just my opinion and not that of the forum or other resellers.

Thank you for your comments. Our controls are all "fanuc compatible" Fanuc, Mits, Haas, or Milltronics.

While I doubt that we would need a different custom post for each machine, we will probably need between 4-6 custom posts to best utilize our equipment.

Nontheless John, your point is well taken.

Does anyone have any recommendations about their "favorite" customizations?

Thanks,

wcarmn

quote:

Does anyone have any recommendations about their "favorite" customizations?

as a rule there are no "favorite customizations"

There are ones you make to get your post to make usable code that needs NO editing for your machines.

anything beyond that is personal preference

wcarmn. Like you (& many others, I'm sure) we only use line numbers on the 1st line of an operation. Except our posts are set up to put out the tool's offset times 100. We have a lot of subspindle lathes, and want to differentiate between T0101 on the front spindle, and T0121 on the subspindle.

Our headers are set up to output the date on the 1st line. Second line gets the customer's company name, part number, material description, short operation description, and machine the program is for. Third line gets the REV. number. All these items are easily inserted into the post by you. You only need to know the format. It is in the MC manual.

As already stated, Mastercam will put out a tooling list for you. Standard MC list wasn't what we wanted. We don't need, want or use the parenthesis since our DNC doesn't output anything to the control until after it sees an asterisk. Nor do we need or want the tool manufacturer's part number for the tool.

As you can see, MC is quite flexible on these type of things...if you didn't already know it. smile.gif

Lathe old or new style canned cycles (G71-G76) are controlled by a switch. Easy change to make.

Getting a post that will run on your machines is relatively easy. Fine tuning it to put out exactly what you want to see (and remove a lot of unnecessary code) can take time.

BUT it is well worth it in my opinion. I don't like having to edit a post any more than absolutely necessary. (I will edit out code that doesn't need to be there, and slightly modify lead ins/lead outs when MC can't be made to output exactly what I want. It would run fine, just not look like I want it to!)

And believe me there will be times (at least on lathe) that you will have to modify the post because MC can't be made to put out exactly what you want. I don't care what anyone else says about this. There are some things MC just...can't...be...made...to...do.

I can't comment on mills, but don't expect a post to be right the first time unless it is a simple 2-axis lathe, and you have supplied the dealer with EVERY little detail.

in regard to charging for post work, I can not speak for all resellers.

Customers who tend to call me with the following info "My post does not work", my be under the impression that I charge for all post work.

Customers who communicate via email and follow the rules described below, are probably under the impression that all post work is free.

http://www.mastercam.com/Support/Posts/Default.aspx

Unless I am in a situation where the customer does not know how to run or program their machine, Post work can all be done via email.