Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Makino A82 with 5th axis

maestro

In Sept we are getting a brand new Makino A82 horizontal with a 20k high accuaracy spindle, 97 tool magazine, 1000psi thru spindle coolant, and a 5th axis rotary table for one of the pallets. This will be our first high end machine. We will be moving up from a bunch of Haas, Fadal, and Hurco machines. This machine is slated for aluminum aerospace parts only. We will be using almost all HSK100A shrink fit tool holders. We will be tooling up for work holding using tombstones with Invert-a-bolt fixturing, along with some Technigrip fixtures. We have purchased Vericut for NC program verification for which I will be attending training next week. I have been doing some 5 axis programming recently for 2 Haas VF6SS machines with TR210 5 axis trunnion tables that we have. We are a small shop right now that is owned by a relatively large corporation. We have tried for years to convince the corporate people to move up to this type of equipment, and now that they have commited almost $1M to this, I want to make sure we get this of to a good start. We will be moving into a new facility in July and the machine will arrive sometime aroung the 1st of Sept. We will be watched very closely on this project. Right now I will be handling all of the programming, cutting tool and workholding issues for this machine, along with my regular duties of programming for about 8 other machines as well. I know there are quite a few MC users out here that are experienced with these types of machines. We only use MC for our programming, part modeling, and fixture design. Any advice for a programmer who is going to have his hands full in the next few months? I am looking forward to this, but there is also a little apprehension on my part, as this is a giant leep in maching capability from where we are now.

[ 06-05-2008, 10:14 AM: Message edited by: maestro ]

may want to try and talk em into more tool capacity.. you will need it.

yep your hands are gonna be full.

i would start grabbing models for any standard fixtureing (tomb stones-techni-grip etc) clean for your use and position.

plan modular hole patters and set standards.

start your tool library (down to the finest details).

oh and your gonna need a post.

and thats just a start.

good luck and enjoy that beughty.

doug

I have already contacted or resller about a post. I have already begun the process of modeling up tombstone and such. We are finalising the details with Kennametal and Hanita on toolholders and cutting tools. As soon as we get this nailed down, the cutting tools and holders will be setup in a MC tool library and modeled in Vericut to the finest detail. 97 tools was all we could get budgeted for. For most of the work we will be doing, this should be enough for now. Gotta get our feet wet first.

A tool presetter with auto send to the makino control is very nice to have, manage your tools well "you should get a bigger magazine" I know it seems repetitive but I usually use an excell spreadsheet with all tools in or out Holder numbers, lengths, necked tools all info specific to the tool assembly. then the spread sheet, mastercam and your cell controller should match exactly also plan on putting short run tools towards the front of the magazine and the longer run tools towards the back you don't want the machine waiting for tools to get in the spindle

Will probably wait a little while on the presetter. We will have tool and spindle probes. Just the one machine for the near future and just the 2 pallets, so no cell controller. There are plans for 2 more of these machines down the road along with a pallet pool, so maybe then. We still need to prove to the bean counters that we can utilize this machine well. As far as the larger tool magazine, I lobbied hard for all I could get, but the 97 was all I could could talk them into.

Rick

There is no waiting for the tool on this machines. The machine has a pot that will hold the nexet tool in line so when it comes to a tool change a arm grabs the old tool on one end and has the new tool on the other end. So there is no waiting.

Maestro

This machine required a little differnt think whan a VMC. We have 2 smaller ones. You will like the Makinos those things are rock solid and fast. Scary fast if you are not used to it. As far as the presetter goes. Depending on how many different parts you run if you can set the tools up and keep them in the machine then a prester will not be that big of deal. But if you are setting up a lot of tooling. Having a presetter that can load the infromation right into the machine is a big time saver.

I setup and ran an A81 cell and yes there is a waiting time if the tool cycle is short. even with the staged pot try it out come in and spot a couple holes switch to the drill bye the time it puts the spot away and gets the next tool back it will be waiting. it is the same on the mazak so that is why I organize the magazine to keep the short tun tools to the front of the wine rack.