Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

4/5 axis Machinists...

HEED

How long have the 4/5 axis questions been going on in this forum ? I am pretty new to it myself, and was wondering if the 4/5 is a newer machining trend that has been emerging onto the market with ease of use, etc. or have the practices been in use for many years ?

I don't know when the first 5-axis machines became productive nor when Mastercam could start driving good 5-axis toolpaths, but I do know it has been around in the aerospace industry longer than I have which is close to 15 years. First machine I ran was a 5-axis and it was old at the time.

It is certainly not new technology although there have been advances like everything else. Both in the kinematics and machine software side.

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

The questions herein the forum have been going on since the beginning of eMastercam. I've been well versed in Mastercam since V3 and 5-Axis since around 96-97 if memory serves me correctly. The machines have become more accurate, faster. Software has become easier to drive and become more powerful. Well within the reach of even the smallest of job shops. Most 5-Axis machines are not doing full simultaneous 5-Axis motion. They are using them to do parts in fewer operations. Like a 12 op part done in 3!

reeding between the lines?

is 4 and 5 axis more prevelent today?

I think so simply because machine cost has gone down for this option and their is no doubt if used apropriately it increases profit.

doug

First true 5 axis simultaneous, K&T Moduline with an AB control 1978. Horizontal with a rotary table. Only problem is pivot point is between table and column so every single movement has to be recalculated. Currently retrofitted with Fanuc motors and control and resides in Wichita, KS.

The price has gone down significantly since it's inception and CNC Apps is right, alot less setups and work. Plus very few parts are "true" 5 axis. Most are just positional and the 5 axis makes it easier to get to maore "sides" of a part.

I am currently getting a new Haas VF-8 with a Tri-tech head to do engine castings for probably 1/3 of what a dedicated 5 axis would cost. Plus it will have an additional rotary for positioning. The majority of the work will be positioning, not true 5 or 6 axis work.

cheers.gif

I remember reading somewhere (probably in a sales brochure or some similar lit.) that 5 axis was once an uber high end maching concept, reservd only for aerospace and extremely elite job/contract shops. But with advances in technology, price, and complex setups being simplified with the "done in one" concept, it is being more widely used in more and more shops around the country. I have always wanted to get into the 5 ax revolution, and now that I am here, maybe it's my sensitivity to the subject matter, but I seem to see a lot more 5 and 4 ax questions than before on this forum. It's interesting to know how long it's been around. What do you suppose the ratio of 3+2 to full simul 5 ax paths are ? It seems that most 5 ax machines are being used to demo full 5 ax paths, but are actually being used as posisioners.