Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Mastercam Implementation - Best Practices

CAM-mando

I finally purchased our updates to X2!!!!!

Since we have had multiple programmers over the past few years doing things different ways, I am viewing this as an opportunity to start with a clean slate in terms of implementation.

I thought perhaps some of you wouldn't mind sharing your approach to things like tool libraries, set-up sheets, operation libraries etc.

I would like to invest the neccessary time up front to set up our libraries. This is partly a Mastercam chore and partly a tool selection problem. ie, we have purchasing history for 10 different 1/2 inch end mills for slotting in aluminum when we could 2 or 3.

Historically we have not documented holders, just tools. I would like to include holders in the setup documentation.

In addition to the software update, I have purchased the IHS html set up sheet product.

For posts, the more complex machines without existing posts, we will be buying posts from IHS. The mills will be derrived from MP master. The goal is 100% unedited code from the posts.

Any experience you would like to offer regarding general your approach to these broader implementation topics would be appreciated.

Some existing threads by topic...

Training and transition:

Transitioning and learning X

More on training (incl. poll)

Old 9.1 --> X transition topic circa 2005

File Management:

Single file multiple processes

Set-up Sheets:

What set-up sheet to use?

More on set-up sheets

Making changes to the X+ set-up sheet

Adding a logo to X+ set-up sheet

Post Processors:

The first rule of fight club

In House Posts

Tool Libraries:

Editing tool libraries

Speed and Feed from Tool or Material?

Numbering standard tools

Custom holders

[ 07-14-2008, 05:42 PM: Message edited by: CAM-mando ]

quote:

I would like to invest the neccessary time up front to set up our libraries. This is partly a Mastercam chore and partly a tool selection problem. ie, we have purchasing history for 10 different 1/2 inch end mills for slotting in aluminum when we could 2 or 3.

Historically we have not documented holders, just tools. I would like to include holders in the setup documentation.

In addition to the software update, I have purchased the IHS html set up sheet product.

CAM,

Tooling libraries, you can certainly set up a library, you are correct, deciding what should be in it, is probably going to be the biggest up front block of time. I started with mt standard endmills, spot drills, full selection of machine drills, a good bunch of jobber drills and most of the standard taps I used. Everything else grew from use and was added on the fly and saved in for later use.

I do have a documented library as well with holders defined as well as tool stick out lengths, that I used to generate G10 offset lengths. Couple that with a modified In-House Setup Sheet and I was getting this for output

setupsheet.png

Placing your "common" files on the network and point all installs at then, so that all users draw on the same files will go along way to standardizing and making sure everyone is using and supplying the same information.

couple the setup with the posted output for this

code:

O1234 (10408-MCAM OP-1)

(PROGRAM - 10408-MCAM OP-1.NC)

(DATE - JUL-15-08)

(T4 - 2" ALUMAHOG - H4 - D4 - D2.0000" - - FACING.....)

(HOLDER V40CT-E37)

(HOLDER GAGE LENGTH 2.46)

(TOOL LENGTH 2.858)

G10 G90 L10 P4 R5.318

(T5 - .500 3FL VIPER .06 RAD - H5 - D5 - D0.5000" - R0.0600 - M.FINISH...)

(HOLDER C4006-0500)

(HOLDER GAGE LENGTH 2.462)

(TOOL LENGTH 1.353)

G10 G90 L10 P5 R3.815

(T6 - 3FL. VIPER .030 RAD - H6 - D6 - D0.1875" - R0.0300 - M.FINISH...)

(HOLDER C4006-0187)

(HOLDER GAGE LENGTH 2.462)

(TOOL LENGTH .791)

G10 G90 L10 P6 R3.253

(OVERALL MAX - Z2.)

(OVERALL MIN - Z-1.6159)

G00 G17 G40 G80 G90

( SET BLOCK DELETE OFF TO BYPASS )

( THIS SECTION AFTER SETTING Z HEIGHT )

/ ( #180 = X TOUCH POSITION )

/ ( #181 = Y TOUCH POSITION )

/ #180 = #5021