Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Cannot load IPT in X3

rdshear

I have an IPT solid model that I tried to load in X3 and it freezes and will not load. My coworker tried to load it on his computer with X3 as well and it froze at the same point. The model loads fine in X2. I uploaded the model to cadcam's FTP in the solids directory. The name of the file is 5894.IPT. This model is an updated model from a job I programmed about a year ago. At first I was going to open the old Mastercam program file delete it's model and import the new model in. When I did this I got a Parasolid error of no virtual memory. I then tried loading the model by itself. No go. So next I tried loading it in X2. No problem it loaded fine. So, I saved it as an MCX, and then I could load the MCX into X3. It's a work around but I don't know why it wouldn't load in X3 from the start.

Any Ideas?? I couldn't find a memory setting for the Parasolid kernel.

I wanted to ask here before I submit this as a real bug. I just want to make sure it's not me. biggrin.gif

Rick

We have the converter for the version of inventor our engineering department uses. They are currently using inventor 2008. They are planning on buying some new computers and don't want to install 2009 until they get them. We have inventor view 08 installed and have had no problem loading files in X2 or X3 until this model. For some reason it will load in X2 but not X3. It is somewhat large. Did you get this to load sucessfully in X3?? Would the new version of the converter read an inventor 08 ipt differently?

I didn't realize that. I thought you only needed to update inventor view when you updated inventor to add support for the new inventor formats. And since we had been loading IPT's in X3 without the update until this one, my thought process seemed legit... Obviously not though bonk.gifbiggrin.gif I'll get the file installed and see what happens. Hopefully all will be good then. (Did the file load ok for you?)

We installed the inventor view from Mastercam's website (X3 Translator Update - AutoDesk Inventor View 2009 x86) and still a no go for this file. banghead.gif I would think there was a problem with the model file but it pulls in fine in X2. Has anyone successfully pulled in this file with X3?? confused.gif

Any other suggestions? Could it be a problem with the file that would prevent it from opening in X3 but allow it to open in X2?

"...Regardless of 2008, you need to install this for X3 to read in inventor files..."

Sorry JP - that's not true. If you already have Inventor 2008 or InventorView 2008 installed, you can still read Inventor files from 2008 and earlier with X3. It's a good thing to recommend (since it IS the only way to read Inventor 2009 files) but it isn't required unless you're trying to import a 2009 file.

I'll download the IPT from the FTP site and takje a gander at it.

Rick,

It looks like a memory-related problem on our end. I'm not quite sure yet exactly why, but I'm seeing some memory-handling issues. We did make some tweaks to clean up some X2 bugs, and this might have gotten caught somewhere in there.

I'll keep you posted. I'm glad the STEP method worked for you so that you're not stuck.

It's been logged here as #38416.