Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Migration Question

quote:

So the next time I installed with out migration...and brought the files over manually.

Did you remap your new config X3 after setting the default config to be the X3 and not the X2 one,

copying the config will still point everything back to X2, you need to remap as well

I thought I did, but I might have missed one.

For someone who only does this once in a blue moon

this can be pretty confusing....even after paying close attention to the instructions. You kind of get the idea after you bring the files in and they are updated, that you are good to go, but I guess you are not. Is it possible Mastercam could have a pop up that says..."Hey you are using X3, but your file paths are pointing to previous install..do you want to change it" Maybe this would at least point us

(pun intended)in the right direction here.

Mike,

once again, Migration only copies files froma previous version to the X3 install folders, it can't corrupt them or update them. Something else is causing your problem and confusion.

If you are getting corrupt or invalid warning errors, basically the file you are opening is not from that version. This can happen as John mentions by point to the wrong folder location, please review all file folder paths and make sure you are pointing to the right files and location.

The other way this happens is by actually updating a file to X3 which now makes that file not useable in X2 versions. easy enough to do if you don't pay particular attention to the file names, overwrite options and file paths.

Did you at any time get prompted to update the file or use the FILE / IMport Directory menu function?

Jim,

Yes, I was prompted to update the machine def,and I did. Now....I probably did something wrong like not making sure all the files paths were pointed at X3, but...it did alter something in my X2 Machine def because after installing x3, the next time I opened X2, it came up that the machine def was not good. If I replaced it with a prior definition I had saved then it worked.

I really hate to be taking anyones time if Im the only one having a problem like this. It could be something unique to my computer. And I have X2 up and running good enough to get my work done.

I appreciate everyones help.

Mike

Mike,

Basically what probably happened is when you updated the MD in X3, you overwrote the X2 version. Unfortunately easy enough to do. If using the "on the fly" method, always toggle rename original file so it makes acopy of the original before updating it to X3.

Another possibility is if using the File/Import directory that you are also updating or overwriting the wrong files. Check your paths before in the dialog before soign so.