Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

No Ramp Entry for Projecting a Pocket Toolpath.

Daniel M

Not easily. "Add depths" is only available if you are projecting an NCI (toolpath), and it really just tells the project toolpath to use the depths that are found in the NCI path that is being projected...

I tried it with a pocket toolpath for the NCI and the helix moves turned into flat arcs with a plunge move to connect them.

I would recommend that you try Surface | Rough | Pocket instead. You will get all the different pocket stepover methods, a choice of ramp or helical entry, and you can machine shapes that are fully inside the boundary (true pocket) or allow the tool to travel outside the boundary if you are roughing out a block...

I do this somewhat infrequently and just tried it again to make sure I'm not yet insane.

Mastercam X3.

I wrote a 2d pocket with multiple depth cuts and helical entry and projected that toolpath (nci) on to surfaces using Surface -> Finish -> Project and the helical entries and depth cuts did not get flattened onto the surfaces.

Without checking 'add depths' in the surface toolpath params the whole toolpath, depths cuts and helical entries, get flattened onto the surfaces.

It has worked this way since projecting toolpaths onto surfaces was made available in Mastercam. That was version 5 or 6 to the best of my recollection.

Hence my original post is, indeed correct.

You're welcome!