Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

new to 5 axis

PeterM

I am seeking a little advise here. We just bought a dual axis indexer for our HAAS VF-4, so I have now got a full 5 axis mill, whoo hoo! I am not going to need to use this for true 5 axis work yet, we are simply going to offload the smaller index and mill work from our horizontals.

As you all know on a horizontal the primary construction view is the front, and if I am say, slotting the face of a part at B90. my cut would be along the Y axis. The dual axis indexer on the other hand is in line with the X axis, and making a similar slot would have the cut along the X axis.

How should I approach the construction and posting of parts for this new 5 axis mill. I played around with this a little, but ended up rotating my part to a real word orientation, changing the world coordinate didn't give me good code, but I will admit, that I never use the world coordinate so I may have done something wrong there. I am also considering tweaking a post to give me the altered orientation from a part constructed as usual, but there is always an element of danger in that kind of approach. Any tips would be appreciated.

We just did this with a VF-4, HRT310 for A axis, and a HRT210 for B the vertical axis. From what I read on this forum you can get into trouble fast using WCS with multiaxis machines so I don't use it. X axis line is C/L of A axis, Z axis line is C/L of B axis and the part needs to be located in MC at the same location as on machine. So far I've had no problems this way. Backplot in 4 ax is right but in 5 ax what you see in MC is nothing like what the machine actually does so I disable simulate rotary axis.

DSC03117.jpg

We use a 3rd party post software, but Mastercam posts are certainly competant. Regardless, you would have to learn the mastercam post language or a 3rd party language to get the EXACT code you want. The primary reason we use a 3rd party post is because it supports many different CAM systems. The other benefits of 3rd part would probably not justify the cost IMO.