Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Grinding on a VCM

Dwayne

I'm doing some grinding on a verticle mill. Does anyone have any tips on creating a tool path for grinding the form onto my grinding wheel? I have 2 diamonds, one for each half of the wheel. The diamonds have a small radius that needs to follow the contour of the form. I have mill level 1. The contour needs to be in Z and Y. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,

Dwayne

Dwayne,

i did this before. i had to add a profile on the edge of an existing part that was 65RC A6 tool steal. i ground a small wheel by mounting it in a tool holder and mounted the diamond dresser to the table at 90deg to the wheel. i created the tool path in the front view. created the profile with lead in and lead out. then i translated the geo. about .0005 in x about 40 times then i connected the end points with line to give me a one tool path. chained the tool path top view in incremental with the plain mask off and comp off. i hope this helps.

35k chipper smile.gif

I do grinding on VMC's. Lately it has been threaded cores for unscrewing molds.

Here's an example of the work in action, a die molding magnesium nuts for an automotive application. Be patient downloading, the server the video is on is slow and the file is 13.4MB.

http://bdhi.ath.cx/download/magdie.avi

The programming for the form dressing is a mirror image of the shape being ground.

For dressing thread forms I use precision radius chisel point diamonds, one for roughing, one for finishing. (60° threads)

For programming the wheel dressing I offest the form geoemtry the radius of the diamonds and write "zero tool" toolpaths.

To compenstate for the changing wheel diameters for both dressing and grinding I incorporate the posted code in macros and use variables. (Fanuc controls)

I don't know anything about Mill level 1, but if it can't toolpath and post in XZ or YZ planes you should be able to program and post in XY and manualy edit XYZ and IJK accordingly.

Hope that makes some sense, and even helps. smile.gif

• 2 weeks later...