Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

shop setups

bm1983

Im curious to see how the other programmers in here that work in die shops has mastercam setup, to be as efficient as possible. Am also looking for ideas..

Dieshoes..all the programs from when the shoe goes on the machine to when it comes off are in one operation file ie: speeds,feeds, but depths sometimes need to be changed This consists of drilling, reaming, tapping, boreing, milling. Roughly 180 total programs from start to finish on a 40x100 plate 2.5'' thick.

Every tool we have is setup in our tool lib, everything is inputed right up to the ordering code or the tool.

I'm wondering if we should do the same for subplates, stripper plates, and details. (make operation files) if thats the best way to go.

Or would the featurebased machining be more of a better option.

The files we get from the designer are solids.

Our goal is to make from 1-300 2d programs in under ten mins. So im looking for the best way to get to this result.

we are using X3 MU1.

any ideas are appriciated!!

We have a computer and "programmer" at each machine. This is extremely inefficient. So, I'm very interested in how you have things set up currently.

How do i send a PM i can't seem to figure that out?

So i take it you program everything off line away from the machines? You have all tools set up in your library with tools approximate tool heights?

Then do you model the components to machine and all of your setup? Doing this would help keep you from running into clamps and parallels and such i would think.

How do you make editing easy on the shop floor for things like tool diameter, depth of cuts, speeds, and feeds?

What do you consider an operation file?

How do you transfer files from you programming to the machine?

Sounds very interesting!

bm1983,

Sounds like you have you hands full eek.gif

When you say die shoes, subplates, stripper plates, etc. I believe you're speaking my language. Is this progressive pierce tooling?

If my hunch is right it would probably be best to create Operation Files for each family of parts, select the new geometry, then regenerate. Thats how we do it here. We make prototype pierce tooling all day long and this process works best for us.

The more detail you go into labeling your operations the better off you'll be. EX: label each die post operation:

1) Die Post Drill

2) Die Post Rough

3) Die Post Bore

4) etc....

This will definetly help you and help other programmers to recogize each operation and efficiently program new jobs cheers.gif

Shoot me an email and we can discuss further.

HTH

Josh

sorry, im not really sure how to pm lol.

we have 2 computers in the corner where everything gets progrmammed offline. Every drilll, tap, mill, reamer,etc. is setup as it is in actual life.

We have vices,123blocks,246blocks,clamps, machine tables,atc. drawn into solids to gives us a little clearer view or whats going on so we do not hit anything.

So far now i have not found a way to get mastercam to have 2-d detection of any componants, which is a really big problem for everyone.

As for easy editing we just go from the machine back to the comps and make the changes in mastercam.

Dia,depth of cut,speeds and feeds, length offsets, are all in our tool library, so anyone who comes into the shop knows the speeds we use.

An operation file, would be a file made in advance or you can save your current programs that you can save to a file and use later on, if you had 10 drills to drill a plate it will save all the programs you made (tools,speeds feeds, depths,clear hts, top of stock, everything), so next time the job comes in all you need to do is repick the geometry.

We transfer files with a ftp server. ( place it in a folder assigned to a machine, then while at the machine,it looks there to grab the file you want.

Yes, we make progressive dies.

Thats exactly how we do it with labelling our operation files. All programs in one big thing without grouping would be a nightmare.

The problem with grabbing the op file and regenerating is still too long, we need to make it faster still!!!