Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Haas 5 axis opinions

Chris Rizzo

quote:

oh, I did see that Mat. running out at a Selway demo in Wilsonville. That thing looks hella robust. I really like the Matsurra full machine verification setup they had with it.

Stay tuned Chris,,, YouTube video coming soon....

(2" Mitsubishi 12000 RPM, 350IPM, .500 DOC, .375 Axial, 2D highspeed toolpath,,,) wink.gif

My offer stands,, come out and visit us sometime,

we're right around the corner from Selway...

(Hi James..and Kyle)

Chris, I have a TR160 in my VF2 and it is nice to be able to remove it when I need the machine for 3 axis work. It is a tight fit and I need to change the toolchange position to avoid tool collisions with the trunnion during changes (side mount changer). This requires a one time setup in debug mode and then it is only two parameters when the trunnion is installed. Here is a video showing the fit.

It is a much better fit in the VM3. If you are doing much 5 axis work I would highly recommend Vericut or Predator. MUCH goes on between the Mastercam's verify and the machine as there are two ways to get to every position.

Make up your own pillars with different dovetail clamping "heads" so that you can change sizes. I think I have a few pics at home too of some I had made before. Only costs about a 5th of the price of buying, IF you have the time to do it. Biggest advantage is having the right sizes for what you need.

Bruce

The TRT160 is the way to go on a VF2. I've ran everything from a VF3/TRT160 to a VF8/TRT310 and the are pretty much the same accuracy. As long as you're not trying to split atoms I'm thinking you'll be ok.

As far as a dedicated 5X machine the forementioned Matsuura MAM72-63V is a PHENOMIMNAL machine but comes with a PHENOMIMNAL price tag! If price is an issue, which it is in most cases, you'll be pleased with the TRT160 bolt on.

We have Hermle machines here, C600u - TNC430i & C40u - TNC530i Heidenhain controls, and could not be any happier with the results. the C600u is 10 years old and is more accurate than any Jig Bore we have.

BTW: When I ran/programmed the VF8 I could start with a bare table and have the TRT310 on and running dead nuts in 8 minutes... do I hear a challenge? biggrin.gif

The trunnion is 1 year old and I replaced the bearings because of a minor incident :-) I did get the VF2 problem resolved and it boiled down to an improperly preloaded ball screw angular contact bearing. I realized this when working on the trunnion.

The trunnion worm support bearings are preloaded to ~75ft-lb to get everything tight and eliminate axial play in the worm shafts. I made the spanner wrench to do this. After doing so I noticed the VF2 Y-axis bearing pack sitting nearby on my counter. This bearing had recently been removed and replaced, correcting the problem. I went to take it apart just for kicks and it was only preloaded to 1-2 ft-lb.

This would have been tight enough to pass ball bar tests but loose enough to have problems under load.

Most designs that have been around for years could be improved but I think Haas rotary products are certainly one of their stronger offerings. If they'd stuck with rotaries and VMC products instead of trying to offer every type of machine tool available in the world I think they would've been better off. I'm surprised we haven't seen Haas wire machines yet...

C