Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

New computer, need to install Mastercam

danfec

I have a new laptop. I install McamX2-Mr2-Sp1 from the web. I can run it but I need my post, cnc machines, and my tools, etc. If I transfer my files I get error messages when I open Mcam. I've been told that I need to rename my folder, it is Mcamx and I need to give it the name it had on my old computer wich was McamX2-MR2. If I do this I do not get the error messages but it's bugging, I can't even translate or do almost anything. Anyway I can't see my post neither...why is it so complicated , is there any easy way to get working soon .... Thank you.

You need to download the machine defs from the web also. If X2 Mr2 Sp1 was the only version of mastercam you had installed on your computer it would be McamX, this is how it should be.

You might try the repair in the add and remove programs..Don't know how Vista works.. if it is Vista you can right click on the short cut icon and turn off or on some video settings there. I think it is hardware accelerator or something like that. I am told with Vista you need to do this. It might be in your config also.

[ 02-18-2009, 10:03 PM: Message edited by: Dan@Vian Ent. ]

quote:

I need to give it the name it had on my old computer wich was McamX2-MR2

There are better ways to solve this but if you don't understand machine/control definition

linkage, its probably the easiest solution.

Uninstall

Create a folder in the C drive named

C:McamX2-MR2.

Then reinstall Mastercam.. when it asked where to install, direct it to

C:McamX2-MR2.

copy your old machine and control files to your new installation and into the mcamxcnc_machines folder.

copy your post files into mcamxmillposts or mcamxlatheposts etc..

you do not need to reinstall into the same foilder name as the old instalation.

if you still get an error message, post what the message is. It may be unrelated to file location.

Start over. We have had IT guys try this and it doesn't work. The install folder needs to be named exactly the same as the old one or the file associations will be looking in a non-existent folder and you'll have errors. You can’t just change the name it’s in. That will really crap out your install. What may be worse is if you did rename the install folder then tried to uninstall without going back to the installed name. You'll have leftover registry entries with both folder names you can’t remove.

Make sure laptop MC install is in original named folder and uninstall. Afterward remove leftover MCX folder. Restart and install in a folder that matches EXACTLY the name of the install you want to copy your settings from. Do NOT use the all in one mastercamx2-mr2-servicepak1-web.exe download, you'll be sorry, I promise. Use any other combination like CD + MR2 + SP1. Then plug in your settings files and your well on your way.