Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

ARRRGGGHHHH!

Camdude®

rant on!

About a week ago we had problems with a long part coming off our citizen E32. Inserts were wearing prematurely and we couldn't hold size or finish. i recommended changing the cutting oil as it hadn't been changed in months,lotsa months.

that couldn't be the problem i was told. so they wnet about changing inserts, grades, programming stategies etc. My citizen programmer concurred with me and said change the cutting oil. that's not the problem we were told. well to make a long story short they finally changed the oil

and guess what inserts are lasting longer part is cuttin on size and has a great finish.

go figure!!

rant off

Last week we got 4 H13 rings (7.501 +/-.001 ID)back from heat treat all twisted up and scrapped. I had discussed a month before how they were supposed to be done....even got an outsource quote that stipulated ...rough turn to within .20/side ....heat treat to 62 rockwell ...finish grind to size....The higher powers vetoed the idea and turned them all to size hoping they would stay within tolerance....I have spent more time doing the NFG reports and inspection reports of each part for the customer explaining what went wrong and then reinspecting the parts again to prove that they were wrong...(someone had to see it with their own eyes)....that I just wish they had listened in the first place frown.gif

Ain't it amazing what a little good cutting oil can accomplish. They like to recycle it around here. Talk about smoking! They also buy the cheap stuff to start with. Finally did invest in something a little better.

Reminds me when I use to work for Sperry Rail Service. Got transferred out west during the winter. Air lines were freezing up. I told them to put some alcohol in the lines. No secret. Standard procedure. Nope. They had put some in a few days ago. I said add more. Nope. So 2 of us had to get out and thaw the lines ever few hours with flares. Burrrr.

After a few days of this the acting Chief Operator did as I had suggested. No more frozen lines.

How does that saying go? "You can lead a horse to water, but..." biggrin.gif

ya, i love it when your hired to fill a technology hole but when you try to use that expertise it falls on deaf ears.

now i'm not saying i'm best thing since "G" code was invented but i have learned a few things along the way. still learning new stuff every day.

one o the reasons i love this kind of work.

A place I used to work took on some work that involved drilling through steel castings. The shop foreman was blowing up spade drill bits like crazy. I thought perfect application for the Kennametal KSEM style drills. Well we got some in to try out, programmed them up but the shop foreman refused to use them because, "I don't like the looks of them." Finally had to get the Kennametal rep in and hold his hand. "Wow that's 8 times faster and the tool still looks great." Duh...