Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

DMG better than hermle?

appleboy1974

Hmmm. DMG are great so long as the machine isn't in a hot humid environment. That was my experience at a previous employer. Haven't used a Hermle, but I can say that if you get a TNC control you won't be disapointed. I have seen a variaxis 630 against a DMU-50e and from an operators point of view I would personally prefer the DMG than the mazak. Programming either in MC is no different really.

My AU$0.032c

Bruce

Dmg60P and 80P in Brisbane...nice machines-service impossible due to geographical locataion...I used 2 Hermle here in Cambridge as well and they were just as good-service-even better due to geographical location.

Hard to chose from either except certain things break down on each machine type...

DMG ...sensors and limit switches

Hermles ...probes and console buttons

HTH

We have 2 Hermle machines.... C600u and C40U.

I think they are fantastic machines. The C600u is 11 years old with a TNC430i control and it runs as good as it did when it was new. Our sister company in Manchester CT has rows and rows of DMG machines. They're good to but they have the Millplus control on them. If those are your only choices you could go either way but just make sure you get a Heidenhain TNC530i control... you'll be glad you paid the extra $$$!

IMO the Hermle Trunnion Machines (Table/Table) are better than the DMG comparables and the DMG have better nutuating machines... just personal experience.

My $0.02 biggrin.gif

Josh

We have 18 DMU70Evo here with Millplus control and I´d say that the control it is great, but the machine sucks regarding service and accuracy in 3+2 mode. Ours are equipped with all bells and whistles for thermal stability and positioning accuracy, however I can tell you that we have to spent 1 hour a day (at least) warming them up, and even doing so it´s hard to hold 0.02mm tolerances in for features machines using 3+2 positioning. We have also the optional quickset to calibrate the machine kinematic model, but sometimes we have to use it 2 times per day to get close to better results.

After 3 years working with these machines, we are very disappointed. We just got 18 because our headquarters in Germany still closing the deals. We hope this year we will negociate ourselves a different machine to compare with these DMGs... the DMG service sucks... indeed...

Hermles are much better in therms of acceleration, termal stability, accuracy and so on. Are pricey too... you should be fine if you order it equipped with a TNC530i..

Sorry for a very biased testimonial, but this is what I have to say about DMGs currently.I wish I had a different point...

My two cents.

I have a Hermle C40 after being a 23-year Mazak and Kitamura user, and I will never go back. The Hermle is much more accurate and the Heidenhain 530 control is incredible. I chose the Hermle over the DMG because of the service issues with DMG, as well as people reporting accuracy problems. The Hermle service has been excellent, even though I am a small job shop. I can do parts on this machine that used to go to a jig-grinder, and the 5x accuracy has never been an issue. Its built on a synthetic granite base, has .1 micron scales, and thermal comp built-in. Tables are torque-drives, no gears. I will buy more Hermles as soon as I can..

Mazak service is pretty bad if you don't have 40 machines, and they really don't want to hear about it if something is not right with a new install. And I KNOW the accuracy is not even close...

Hermle all the way for me...I wish they made mill-turns as well.

Just my experience so far.