Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

HMC MD b-axis rotation issue

Stuart C

In the machine definition the B-axis zero deg position is set to z+ as it should be on a 4-axis horz with a b-axis rotating about y. The post is outputing the rotation from the WCS 0 deg which is x+. Changing the zero deg pos in the MDM is not affecting the post output at all. Am I doing somthing wrong here. Go Figure.

MILL 4 - AXIS HMC.MMD

GENERIC FANUC 4X MILL.control

GENERIC FANUC 4X MILL.pst

I wasn't thrilled with the way the machine definitions and posts work in X/2/3 for HMCs, so I just ran the post update CHOOK for my old MPMaster from V9.1, and everything has been working great. I have it set as top view = looking straight at B0 side of tombstone.

Stuart,

In your program are you originally starting from front view (which would be B zero) and rotating around what would be Mastercams Z axis but the machines Y axis? So that right side view would be B90 and left side view B-90?

Also when you are making toolpaths on different rotations make sure you're not changing the WCS to that new view only the T-plane/C-planes should be changing.

My part in mastercam is rotating about y. I transformed the part in mastercam to be the same as the machine CS. I was trying to avoid having to use a differant tool plane or wcs in Mastercam just to simlify things. Everything xyz) posts fine except the B zero deg pos which I can't get to change. What bothers me is I used MC's default config for a Generic HMC which is configured the way it should, changed nothing and the B rotation is wrong.

Stuart,

It sounds like you might have been using a customized post previously.

Front plane IS default B zero, in Mastercam generic posts. Everything then rotates around the system Z axis for 90, 180, 270 and such.

If you're coming from the TOP as B0, then a generic post/MMD is going to have to be modified to work in that way.

Is your 1st toolpath done at the FRONT or is it done on the RIGHT side ?

I have had a situation where the post sets that 1st Op as B0.

If this is the case, then your post is faulty and will need modifying.

As a work around-

Try creating a dummy 1st op ( say, a spotdrill in space ) using the FRONT plane and then deleting it from your code.

Thanks for all the input but im still not there. Refer to my original post & reply. This is a fresh install of x3 using all mastercams default MD, control and post for a 4-axis horzizontal. I have edited nothing. The part is setup in Mastercam exactly as it would be on the machine. I,m in top plane & the CL of the part is the y-axis. XY & Z all post correctly. The B is 90 degs off. The B is posting with the zero point set X+ axis (default WCS) The MD has the zero point at Z+ axis which is correct.

So my question is why does changing the B zero point in MD not effect the output of the post. I've been using MC for a long time "V7" so I certainly know how to get this to work I'm just trying to get a handle on this machine def thing they started with X.

The MILL 4 - AXIS HMC.MMD is set up with the rotary axis along the world Z axis (where the FRONT plane is B0), not the Y axis as you are attempting to program it (with the TOP plane being B0).

I have modified the 4-Axis VMC Machine Def for your use. You can grab it here.

You will also need to modify the initialization of srot_z in the Generic Fanuc 4X Mill.pst to change the rotary axis label.

Change:

code:

srot_z       "C"     #Label applied to rotary axis movement - rotating about Z axis - used when use_md_rot_label = no

To:

code:

srot_z       "B"     #Label applied to rotary axis movement - rotating about Z axis - used when use_md_rot_label = no

[ 03-09-2009, 11:21 AM: Message edited by: Paul Decelles from CNC Software ]

Paul,

Sorry but I disagree. The mill 4 - axis hmc.mmd comes out of the box (I just installed X3 on a new PC to double check this)with the rotary axis set on y and the B zero point set on Z-. This is the correct setting for an HMC. This is how my part is set up. The XYZ values are posting correctly but the B is off 90. If I rotate my part (about Y) in MasterCam so the tertiary datum feature of my part, in this case a hole CL, is in line with the WCS x axis instead of z as it should be and is on the machine, the post output is correct.

So again, why is the post outputting the b zero from WCS X when the mmd is set at z and why, when I change the zero point in the mmd to something else is it not effecting the post output?

I'm working on the assumption that by changing the B-axis zero point in the mmd the post output should change as well.

This is a 5-axis drill toolpath on a cylindrical part using the 4-axis output format.