Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Tool Definitions with same tool #?

srbeyke

Hello all,

I have a question that I cannot seem to find discussed before. If I am in error, please let me know.

I have identified several combinations of feeds, speeds, step overs, and depths of cut for the same cutter. Each set of machining parameters is used with different types of machining strategies such as slot cutting, pocketing, or copy milling.

Since the same physical tool is used, how can I best store / load tool parameters from the library?

Is it best to simply load several tools ( all phyically identical) with different parameters and give them the same number? Each tool could be referenced by each toolpath that uses that particular set of parameters.

Would doing it this way cause any internal errors?

Any other ideas?

Best regards to all,

Steven

quote:

Each tool could be referenced by each toolpath that uses that particular set of parameters.

It would be best to save the different toolpath types to a custom operations library. Then when you want to say cut a slot it would have the tool feed,speeds,doc etc. already in there.

Good Luck HTH

IOWAJIM62,

Thank for the quick reply. I was still digging into the archives and found a post from

http://www.emastercam.com/ubb/ultimatebb.p...2540;p=1#000002

It outlines the challenge I am faced with, only with a lathe instead of a mill.

I was hoping that there would be some way to simply click the tool with the set of parameters required and just keep going. After all, I want to change the parameters and not the tool. I have been experimenting, but I would really like to call upon the wisdom of all you guru's out there.

Steven

Yeah Andy said it best in that thread. 7 yrs ago he started saving. I think he was right with his approach. So I guess the best long term approach is to build Tool Libraries for Materials and build Operation Libraries for Materials that use the Tool Libraries for the same material. Then when you start a job you have both of these to choose from. Alot of upfront work to setup but a real timesaver down the road.

Iowajim62,

So far, I have created a large tool library with multiple physically identical tools. I have the parameters set for the operation the tool is used for.

I would guess that the only question is that if I have several tools with the same tool number in my operations window, will that cause any problems?

I did not mention that we are using both versions 8.11 and 9.1 in our plant.

Again, thanks for the response.

Steven

Steven,

quote:

I would guess that the only question is that if I have several tools with the same tool number in my operations window, will that cause any problems?

I wouldn't think so. Have you posted a program and checked to make sure the speeds and feeds are correct ? Do you get any error messages when posting ? If not then your good to go.

BTW 8.1.1 WOW biggrin.gif I started Mastercam in 1999 with V7.2 and V8.0 came out later on that year. You should try and get the boss to update if you could.

iowajim62,

I started WAAAAAY back and still remember version 3.21

I did try posting and got a prompt about multiple tools with same number and asked if a tool change was desired. I checked the code and found it acceptable.

I would like to know if others have had any problems.

Regards,

Steven

No problems here. You just have to answer that question every time you post.

I do this all the time mostly when engraving. MC uses the outside dia of the cutter instead of the tip when pocketing, so I would give one tool a much smaller OD. Now that engraving is included in X3, I don't think I'll do this as much. But it does work fine.

The prompt is just a safety feature. You can turn it off. You should have no problem using tools defined as you describe. There is a check box somewhere in screen --> config to turn off the prompt.

WOW ... 8.1.1 that's old, you should try out the X interface. I resisted X at first, but now I couldn't imagine going back. Push for that maintanence update. You'll love Mcam X.

BTW I started at V3 too. Back in the DOS days. LOL

smile.gif

To all,

Thanks for all your inputs.

My first "work" (cam) computer had dual 8" floppies and a whopping 640K of ram.

I still dream of the "good old days" of DOS.

My first work computer (desk) had CPM operating system.

best wishes to all,

Steven