Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

integrex help

I have a part that looks something like a fan blade or impeller, and I am having a heck of a time getting a decent 5-axis finish path on it. I currently have it running 3+2 but I get some blend lines. Any one care to a look and share some strategies. I am having some trouble uploading file to ftp, but will gladly e-mail it.

thanks in advance,

All my 3+2 toolpaths are rotate b to angle rotate c to angle then xyz moves. C is not moving when I am cutting. You are correct though m211-m311 miil brake. Great for roughing and sometimes for finish, but not always. I was trying to get a multisurf to follow the entire pocket with no sucess. I thought there might be a trick to it.

Jeremy This is a pretty straight forward part. First thing I would do it put the big side towards the chuck. I would look at using a flat endmill to do the walls of the impeller . I would make a toolpath using the the walls. Swarf might work but I would feel better using curve 5 axis. The .05 radius where each blade transitions into body makes using a 3/32 endmill ideal here. I would not try the .100 endmill might give you a fit. I would keller the internal hub, but I would side cut each fin like I said. Now looking at your surfaces on each fin I see the bottom side is flat the top side is curved. So you want to surface this area.

The problem is with the outside and inside hubs this really lends itself to be broken up into sections for machining. You could use Mutli-Surface from the radius to the fin to the radius. To have it go from one fin to a hub to a radius to a fin to a radius to a hub to a radius and then back to a fin as one toolpath you would then need to section them out as surfaces and think you would find your machine is not really suited for this type of an operation. It can do it , but think you will find your toolpaths and part would be easier to machine if you broke the machining up into sections verse trying to do everything with one toolpath.

5 axis toolpaths are great, but I see many time where people try to get to fancy. Most times a simple 3+2 toolpath will do just fine. For the fins I would 5 axis, for the outside wall I would 5 axis it, for the inside hub I would 3+2 it. I could make a 5 axis tool path for the inner hub. To do that I would make a surface out of the inner hub. I would then make a 3 axis toolpath to make a me a chain. I would then use to point as my tool axis control. Then it would post at code that would do it all.

Now the size of the part this thing is so small that it really makes it very difficult to get a very nice finish. It can be done, but you will have to take your time. Good luck and hope you get it figured out.

HTH