Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

r.h. helix thread

seawolf217

There is a "multi-start" button on the "thread cut parameters" page. Set it to 2 starts. You might have to double (or cut in half) your "lead" setting on the "thread shape parameters" page to get it to output the right feed rate. Post some g-code and see what it outputs for feed.

From Machienery's Handbook: Lead is the distance a screw thread advances axially in one turn. On a single-thread screw, the lead and pitch are identical: on a double-thread screw, the lead is twice the pitch: on a triple-thread screw, the lead is three times the pitch, etc.

you can control the feed rate on the thread shape parameter page. Change the radio button from threads/inch, to inches/thread, and set the value to .875 or twice that amount? or half that amount? headscratch.gif It depends on how you interpret that call out on the drawing.

helixthread1.jpghelixthread2.jpg

helixthread3.jpg

helixthread4.jpg

Here is the verify and the settings. It looks like its grooving the part, not threading it. I'm not sure if it is because I'm using a parting tool, but thats what was recommended to me by a few people. I have a sample part that I tried putting the tool into and it looks like the sample was made the same way.

Thanks again.

quote:

don't have the mating part or the thread form or class its not on the drawing

If I were you I would stop now and not spend any more time on it until the customer coughs up this info.

Fiddle with MC until you get how multi start works, but cut nothing until you know.

Bruce

Manoj,

I would doubt you are going to find any information on that thread. It looks like a proprietary thread for a lead screw. I would not want to machine it without more information and a test nut.

I would Listen to what Bruce is telling you regarding thread form. You need to know if the minor diameter of the thread as well as the form or shape. Are the side walls 90 degrees from the bottom of the thread?

When you run verify does the tool move along the axis with varying depth to the bottom of the groove or is it plunging at each groove? I ask because verify has not always given me a true thread visualization and your thread is probably going to be machined correctly.

Good luck.

Hey all,

I know the major/minor diameters, the side walls are 90 degrees from the bottom of the thread.

Seems the problem was with verify. I'm not sure why but I had to run it in low quality then run it in high quality before it showed me the true threads. Before that it looked like it was grooving it. I'm going to try to machine it tomorrow, I'll let you know how it goes. Thanks for all the help!

Manoj