Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

5 AXIS HELP

Ron if you want I can email the file so you can see how big the part is. it is 17.625 diameter and 6.625 thick.

Of course it is hollow out on the inside. But there is support all the way around the volute.

The second part of the question:

The machine seem to jerk around when it cut but no chatter noise. I am not using inverse feed. I have set the controlor setting to the diameter of the part so it can calculate the feed rate at the angle or position.

I am using 3/8 carbide ball end from harvey called "clearance cutter" they are 2 flutes

I have not looked at 4 or 5 flute endmill just for loading up reasons the material is aluminum. That might have help to know earlier.

quote:

I am using 3/8 carbide ball end from harvey called "clearance cutter" they are 2 flutes

And you have this sticking out 3-1/2"?? Hum I looked at the surface and would have thought a regular endmill would have cut all of that without needing a neck down endmill. If I could cut it with a 3/4 endmill I would use a 3/4 ball endmill. IF you zip the file I will be glad to take a look at it, but if that part is hollow on the inside and is aluminum I would suspect you are getting harmonics in the material that is translating into the cut. Might try putting some rubber garden hose on the outside of the part. Might also get a bladder from an old Pump and fill it full of water and put inside the part it will help deaden the walls and helps to keep harmonics down on something like this. I have even taken sand and filled pillow cases inside of a garbage bag to help deaden parts. The garbage bag is not strong enough and the pillow case will allow the sand out and get wet with coolant. The Garbage bag protects the pillow case and the pillow case gives the bag strength. Fill the bad inside the part not outside.

HTH

[ 04-15-2009, 05:12 PM: Message edited by: Ron Branch V & M Precision ]

You say VF3 with a Trunion?

Did you ever have your trunion tuned? I've dealt with 3 separate trunion tables from HAAS that come with incorrect parameter settings from the factory. When you try to do full 5 axis paths the trunion will stutter like you describe.

You need to call HAAS directly and ask to talk to an applications engineer. Don't give up, it may take a bit. Describe your problem and ask if they can give send you the sheet with the correct parameters.

Once you get them put in it is a night and day difference in how smoothly the machine rotates.

HTH,