Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

surface finish blend/flowline

PaceToolmaker

I am a moldmaker and have been programming with mastercam for 5 years.Currently using x3mu1.I have never used the finsh blend or flowline toolpaths and i feel that i am missing out on a lot not utilizing these toolpaths.I have tried a few times but never been able to generate a toolpath.Im able to get everything done with parallel,countour,scallop,rough pocket,etc. or the high speed suite of toolpaths.

My question is this and may be hard to address in this forum.I would like to know which situations these 2 toolpaths are best suited for and if there is a tutorial anywhere or some tricks to get these toolpaths to work correctly.

I must admit that i have not played with either of them much because as you guys know,we are always under the gun to get things done and timewise its easier for me to stick with what i know.Appreciate any help anybody has out there.

There are not "hard fast" rules on what works better when.

Ultimately your geometry really determines what the best approach is along the way.

You'll really need to play with some of the paths to really get a feel for what they cut better and then apply them to the situations which arise and the path appears to be a good fit.

You can always present specific geometry situations and ask what path someone might use.

Have you looked at the included examples and the ckecked out the Help file?

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

Sorry pace, John is right. The only reaso nI know what to use and when is from years of trial. When I don;t get exactly what I want, I move on to the next logical toolpath. When I have trpoubles with flowline, I usually gravitate to Finish Blend which almost always gives me what I need in those situations when flowline won;t work.

HTH

I understand what you guys are saying.I dont have experience with either of these 2 toolpaths to know when they are applicable.Perhaps i will have to make time and get to know these 2 toolpaths and look at the sample files.Unforuately things are always so busy and hectic there is not a lot of time for learning and experimenting although i learn new things every day.

As a general rule I tend to use flowline when I am dealing with a single surface or a small number of surfaces. This is due to the fact that many times it is hard to get flowline to work correctly if you are selecting multiple surfaces at one time.

I have only used surface finish blend a few times but from what I can remember the general idea is you create two curves as boundries and the path will machine all surfaces in between those boundry curves.

Both toolpaths are definately worth learning how to use and can help in certain situations.

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

pace,

you may want to ask your boss if you can take the HASP home to practice, or take a class at night. It would be time well spent.

When I'm trying a new toolpath, I leave the defaults except for stepover, then I flip one switch at a time. Change one setting at a time, then multiple things. It really is the best way to learn individual toolpaths.