Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

What is a programmer?

loraxian

Before I took over here as Senior Programmer (if I had a title that is what it would prolly be) the guy that was doing it when I got here was out in the shop one day trying to cut a flat on a carbide endmill with a HSS endmill eek.gif but, he knew MCAM software better than me.

We could go on and on about this forever and every place would be different on what they call a "Programmer"

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

quote:

Until you've stood there with your knees knocking after your machine has crashed, you shouldn't be a programmer.

I've not crashed a machine that bad, should I not be a programmer, headscratch.gif ???

My "favorite" crash is tool breakage detection stuff. Crashed 3 of 'em over the years... frown.gif

Wow! Definitions all over the board. I agree with each and every one, but still say a "programmer" only generates "G-code" for the machine.

While in many small shops, yes, you have to wear many hats and do all types of "classification" jobs. I know most have swept floors, emptied trash, cleaned machines, cleaned toilets (especially the owners!), like I have.

Alot of the definition has to do with size of facility. Large aerospace, medical, automaotive giants, a programmer just generates G-code and hardly ever sees the machines. Mom and Pops Job shop might have the same guy quoting (sales), ordering material (purchasing), reviewing specifications (contracts administrator) designing the job, tool selection, picking the machine, order of operation (Manufacturing Engineer), Programming (PROGRAMMER!!!), Set up (Machinist), running (machinist or operator, another big definition of debate!!), debur (debur labor), inspect (Quality), Assembly, if there is any (assembler labor), package (Shipping), billing (accounting).

It really depends on the size of the facility and the approach that each company uses. Some have programming at the machine, some have seperate programmers, some just buy programs.

Do I agree that you can't be a good programmer without serving an actual machining apprenticeship? You bet! I don't know how many times I wanted to put one of my programmers out on the floor. Unfortunately, you also end up with guys that have a general background and don't have a solid machining background or understand alot of the necessary principles.

Now alot of guys are going to realize just how much work they actually do for a programmers wage! LOL! Which isn't that bad unless you are doing all the work for cheap. I have seen shops out here offer $12 an hour for all of the above.

I worked in a shop that REQUIRED ALL programmer, tool designers and methods people to work in the shop running machines for six months prior to getting to the hired position. It weeds out the BS artist real fast. I have seen many come in saying they programmed 5 axis machines. After a week they just wouldn't show up anymore. I believe every programmer/manufacturing engineer should be brought up in the shop. I don't care about a piece of paper saying you have a Bachelors degree. If you have it fine.......what about work experience. I worked right out of high school. After about 10 or 15 years went back to night school for my degree, and every job I have had since didn't require it. My employers want to get the job done now and right, no mistakes..

NUF SAID

quote:

You don't have to be a machinist to be a programmer but it really makes things easier for the setup man when you send out programs with machining practices applied.

A programmer who can't machine?? What use would he/she be?

Isn't that like a surgeon who can't operate??

Someone who does not know machining , should not be running any CAM system, that's just plain stupid and dangerous.

quote:

A programmer who can't machine?? What use would he/she be?

Isn't that like a surgeon who can't operate??

Someone who does not know machining , should not be running any CAM system, that's just plain stupid and dangerous.

Ditto.

If you can't program at the machine with a trig book, calculator, and a blueprint, you probably shouldn't be in the engineering/programming office. LOL