Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

renishaw omv software

Jmick

I have used Active Editor Pro, which has all the OMV stuff plus more and it is really good stuff but a year after we bought it I heard a rumor that UG had bought it and Renishaw would not be developing it any further. Check out this thread THREAD I would be very cautious cause they ain't gonna tell you if they don't plan on developing it further. Renishaw makes great products, but they also want to empty the shelves of old products, they tried very hard last year to convince me that the MP700 was not going to be replaced by another model, I got the first two RMP600 probes put on the market instead and less the 2 months later the MP700 was removed from the website wink.gif

What goals do you intend to achieve by implementing this software?

I took a look at this awhile back, and decided their "Productivity+" software was much more up my alley (Though I still haven't purchased it). The way it was explained to me, is the OMV software throws out it's own custom macro programs specifically for that part, similar to the way PC-DMIS runs a CMM. The OMV software is much more capable than the Inspection Plus or Productivity+ software, but it's a much bigger commitment. The PC generates a special program, the machine runs the program and sends all the data back to the PC, and then the PC gives you a fancy CMM like inspection report.

The Productivity+ system works by installing a set of macros in your 9000 series (just like the Inspection Plus macros...but different), and then you generate macro call programs using the graphical interface of Active Editor or a GibbsCam (ugh) plug-in.

Productivity+ also helps you write all of the conditional macro statements that really make probing powerful.

For anybody that wants to do probing on a daily basis, the Productivity+ package would probably pay for itself pretty quick. I CAN'T STAND sitting in front of Cimco, looking at a wall of G65P9810s 11s and 14s.

Thanks for the input guys. One of our big customer would like send us 500+ large finished parts and have us make 1 small modification to them. They would then like us to give them reports on the existing dimensions on those parts. The idea being if the software works well it can all be measured in the machine efficiently without moving it to the cmm. I also understand that it will also be only as accurate as the machine but in this case the tolerances are wide open. I am going to ask about them developing the software further as I don't want to get burned Like Dave has said.

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

quote:

...I also understand that it will also be only as accurate as the machine...

There is a false assumption that you cannot accurately inspect a part in the same machine that it was produced in. There are some things you need to do before hand, but it is possible, and it definitely is accurate. The machine obviously needs to be laser calibrated but you also need a Volumetric Error Map. Once you have that, then you can inspect to darn near the precision of a CMM.

HTH