Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

5X ,Axis Substitution Not working???

Dan@home

I have a 8" cylinder (tube) mounted vert. WCS on Top of a table/table 5x Okuma. I am pocketing threw one wall only at various rotations.

I draw a flat layout for axis substitution in the front named view. I Xform roll it around the 2.9" Dia.

At the bottom of my rolled cyinder, I create a pie like config, so as to create rotated planes (named views) front, R-side, Back, ext, ext.

Planes are corect, pockets all post right. B axis in the -90. direction and C rotates like it should.

Now I do the axis substitution to chamfer the pockets, substitute Y (cyinder pointing up) With the same geo I created rolled cylinder to find my rotations with. Looks good threw backplot.

When I verify it... mad.gif It shows 90 degs off. This is the same position the geo was in when I created my cylinder...WTF.

Has anybody else seen this? Should I trust the backplot or adjust for verify. I am showing how to do this to other programers and makes me look like a horses xxxx. redface.gifredface.gif

This has been covered many times never trust the crappy 5 axis sub verify. Trust the code and not the back plot when it comes to verifying axis sub.

Question though why not use a standard 5 axis toolpath? Then you can use the 5 axis toolpath to verify, but also to check code to the axis sub. Now you solve seeing the part verify. If you do not like the code the 5 axis toolpath outputs, but now have something to compare code to.

HTH

This wasn't my idea, the company I work for doesn't have the MutiAxis add on, But I do have my own seat. They do all 5x positionning with 4X posts and manully edit B axis ext. I am trying to bring them up to speed. With the post processor I prepaired for them. Teaching old dogs new tricks, sometimes like herding cats.

I got the same problem since first relase X, They blamed my machine Def. was wrong. I DID NOT agree with them, But what can I do !!!

Here is the email I sent to reseler and the replied from CNC:

quote:

Unfortunately I do not have good news on this one

It was rejected for functions as designed.

The reason is below from the programmer

The problem is the zero angle of the c-axis is defined wrong, this is user error.

Set it to +Y and regen and that fixes the problem.

If I take the included V9 post and run UpdatePost on it then post it out in Vx I get the same Nc output as V9.

That means Mastercam and Mp both work properly. If the included Vx post is giving bad output then the problem must be in the pst file, not Mastercam or Mp.

Maybe you can check the customer’s Post and machine definition?

Rob Peirolo

Q.C.

CNC Software

What they mean: You have to change your B-axis (or C-axis) ZERO position 90 deg to get it to work.

3.jpg

This page of the machine components does nothing for a 5 axis machine. It is all done with how you set it up in the post processor. I think it is a (big bug) caused by non communication between the develloper of the verify and CNC Software. frown.gif

quote:

This page of the machine components does nothing for a 5 axis machine. It is all done with how you set it up in the post processor. I think it is a (big bug) caused by non communication between the develloper of the verify and CNC Software.

I agree with you It should not. But Yes, It does (ONLY affect ***Substitution***). Please try change your C-axis ZERO position 90 deg. Then backplot or verify you going to see the different.

Luckily we do have Vericut, but still tweaking the vericut machines. It didn't take Vericut to see that the code was garbage though. I'm guessing that axis subst doesn't know what to do.

the part is straight up at A0B0, so I made a tplane at A90B0, then tried to subst X. I assume if I copy the model and put it in the correct orientation so subst can occur in the top plane the code would be correct....except for the AB output.

I have solved this problem in the past by translating the unrolled geometry away from the

center of rotation.

The transaltion amount is (Pi*D)/4

where D = the unroll diameter.

Moving the unrolled geometry this disatnce

will change the posted output by 90 degrees

and sometimes sync the output with Verify.

That is simallar to what I had to do. What is strange or maybe it has been fixed. I opened the same file in X4 and all looked good.. So does this mean the code was good? I mean the term verify means to make sure it is good, or to establish the truth, accuracy, or reality of, right?

headscratch.gif

• 2 years later...